Late Draws & The Art Of Overkill !!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Nov 12, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's the scenario! Band is playing above it's own standard and gelling well for a good showing at say, the Areas. The band goes to it's practice hall to make sure all is well and to keep confidence high. Now, the draw is made and you have a late placing. The conductor decides to try and get as much out of the band by tweaking this and that but instead of saying 'that's it, folks ... enjoy the day!', he/she stops the band from listening to others and works for a few more hours (sectionals etc) to try and perfect the performance. A know of a few people (including myself) who have been in this situation of overkill and ended up going on stage giving a tired, lifeless performance that malligns the hard work done before. I wonder why this happens? Is it nerves on part of the conductor? Thing is, you cannot put a memory like that out of your system. Is this situation quite rare?
  2. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

this has never happened to me and i've never heard of it happening to anyone else. Our conductor lets us do as much or as little playing as we want to. she doesn't push us to do what she wants to do. she says the mornings rehearsal is for us not her. theres nothing you can do the morning of the contest. if you can't do it by then you wont be able to do it on stage.
  3. JR

JR Member

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I rekon... "we're gonna win this" has to be one of the most over-used and under fulfilled statements made by every MD at some stage prior to a contest eh...;)
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I can't remember ever having been in that situation, but I really think the day of the contest should be left to the players to relax. I think they should be encouraged to look through their parts to remind them of all the bits they have to remember, but I don't see that changing things and running through sections repeatedly will have any advantage at that stage.
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I hate to say it but I have seen this quite often.

If you are drawn late, then the temptation is for the conductor to get the most out of you and not let you go off the boil. There is a point if you are drawn last and there are a lot of entries, but light touch should really be the order of the day. Certainly no sectionals - the last thing soloists need is more pressure.

Let's face it if it isn't ready on the day before the contest it's never going to be ready.
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Although I haven't experienced this situation in a contest situation, I have seen an analogous problem in concert situations, where I've seen "sound checks" in the hall turn into a full rehearsal, sometimes compromising the actual concert performance because the band is just blown out.

I attribute this (somewhat) to performance anxiety on the part of the MD, with a touch of perfectionism.