Last place, but why?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by a very flat b, Mar 18, 2007.

1. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Firstly this is not sour grapes.

My band came 8th and last in North region second section contest yesterday. We got generally favourable comments from the adjudicator and scored a very reasonable 180 points, which incidentally would have been third place in the London & SC contest.
    The thing is that we only had one percussion player who through her in-experience decided to play bass drum only (she a trom player in real life). The adjudicator said that "some percussion is missing" in his comments.
    So my question is were we automatically doomed to last place because of the missing percussion?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Unlikely, more likely that the other bands just played more like what the adjudicator was looking for! :tongue:

The fact you got 180 points doesn't mean it is equivalent to 3rd in the L&SC in my opinion. There are more bands in the L&SC which means that if the last placed London band was given 180 points, the top band would have to be given near to 200 points - i.e. pretty near perfect!! That just doesn't happen in the 2nd section.

You might ask why the same points aren't equalised through all regions but a) they don't need to be, and b) if the last place in your area was given the same number of points as the last band in London you have a huge gap between the first and last bands - which makes you look worse than you really are.
  3. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

The L&SC thing was very hypothetical, we have the wrong accent to start with. :oops:

I was just wanting to understand if you do automatically get down grade for missing percussion. I don't claim to know how the adjudicators come to their final standings.
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think so. I suspect some adjudicators don't even listen to the percussion :oops:

Of course, if it is a missing percussion solo, then that is different....
  5. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Yes of course you were I`m afraid, gone are the days when percussion was deemed secondary to the efforts of the rest of the band.
    Percussion players are integral to the overall contest performance of your band, the adjudicator was right to take the missing parts into account and penalise you accordingly.
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

But most contests the percussion doesn't even get a mention. :confused:
  7. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

It was Ray Farr and he'd only eight bands to listen to, so I hope he could still have a level of interest when we played.:-?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  8. MHunt

MHunt New Member

From a composers point of view, Ray Farr scores very heavily for percussion, so as an adjudicator, he would probably have missed the parts your percussionist physically couldn't play, which could have lost you some points.
  9. davidsait

davidsait Member

....probably because he plays percussion himself.....
  10. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Bum :-?

At the end of the day - we went and played anyway. :clap:
  11. barrowgirl

barrowgirl Member

And we had a good time too
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

In the section meeting beforehand Ray said he was looking for the usual mix of accuracy and musicality, make of that what you will. Incidentally the band who came 7th also only had 1 percussionist.
  13. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Hey well thanks Michelle.

It was nice to have a chat with you before we went on. Next year we'll not be in the same section, but roll on Easingwold :clap::clap::clap:
  14. oddbod

oddbod Member

and c) They can't be if different human beings are acting as the judges! - Or were they same one/two? (I haven't looked)

Also "a very flat B" - Did you actually hear the other bands personally?
    Did the adjudicator give clues summing up on the platform?

I know how it can feel by the way - been there many times - but re: the missing percussion - if the BD was missing from the Pavanne.. it really would matter!
  15. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

No I do not listen to the other bands, I never have. I know we played as well as we could, but I am not in any way saying that we were badly done. The result is THE result. I have no opinion of the other bands, they may well have been 'better' than us!

We only had BD and Ray made no comment about that so we are happy that it was good in every movement. The only comment made about perc. was that "some was missing".

Please remember that this is not sour grapes :D
  16. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I also see that our great friends Cottingham have finished bottom in the 1st section today. Again they went with limited percussion.

Like us at least they turned up.
  17. oddbod

oddbod Member

I understand it isn't sour grapes - as I say I've been there too - and I'll go there again! - just trying to help solve the mystery - did you have an early draw?
  18. I expect he let it affect his view of the performance. If he noticed that there was a part missing, that (i expect) would leave a gap for him to observe throughout.
    I do feel sorry for you though! Especially if he's a percussionist...
  19. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Help, I've, like all of us said never again so many times.......... so when do we get next years test peice:-?

We drew 4 out of 8... perfect.
  20. oddbod

oddbod Member

Next year! thought everyone knew? - it's "The Best of The Seekers." - which we realised a few posts after the joke, happens to contain "The Carnival is Over"

(See Yorkshire area thread!)

Sorry "A very flat B" - I've had so many Sunday nights back at home after a result like that over the years - I can only say - tomorrow is another day.