Last Minute Panic?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by persins, May 8, 2005.

1. persins

persins Member

Following on from the recent story regarding Roger Webster's episode with the super glue, I thought I'd ask if any other bands / players have had last minute panics or mini disasters before a contest?

Woodfalls at Yeovil contest a couple of years ago is a prime example. Everything was going fairly well (for us anyway) until we got to the Octagon theatre.

We then discovered that our flugel horn player had mistakenly left her music in the rehearsal room in Sherborne (about 30 mins away). Having rushed back to Sherborne to retrive the music, one of our BBb bass players then realised that he couldn't find his bass!! He'd also left it in Sherborne.
    Unfortunately, we couldn't get in touch with Chantel to tell her to pick up the bass as well and so we had to borrow an instrument from Bournemouth Concert Brass!

Our flugel player arrived with literally seconds left before we went on stage, complete with music.

Not the best preparation really but keeps life interesting!
  2. asteria

asteria Member

Yep, we had a mini-disaster yesterday at the grand shield!

Just as we were about to start playing our 2nd man down realised the spring on his water key had snapped, leaving his water key wide open. Our conductor had to go round the audience seeking elastic bands and bits of string, and after a few tense minutes disaster was averted! Would have made some interesting sounds if he hadn't realised in time! :shock:
  3. someone kicked my newly bought soverign bass over literaly secconds before going on stage at pontins last year. wasnt too impressed , but insurance paid and its all nice shiny and dint free now :D
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Our Sop player forgot her music at the British Youth in 1996, and she was playing a solo 2!! Think it was "I'll Still Be in Love with You", she had to write out the part followed by a rather fierce b*ll*king from our conductor Gordon Evans! No chance of going back to get the part, it had taken us 12hrs to get to Salford!!

Oh and I forgot my mouthpeice at my 1st contest, the Scottish Championships in 1989! Fearful of getting a swearing, it took me ages to pluck up the courage to tell Mr Evans, but he laughed and got me a new 1 from the trade stands! :rolleyes:
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Picture the scene: 1994 3rd Section National Finals at Wembley, band got on stage - a good few minutes walk from the warm-up room. We were all sat down and our MD at the time walked on, looked around to see if we were ready - we were. He then proceeded to open his score - at least he would have done if he'd remembered to bring it with him from the warm-up room. Cue the longest ten minutes ever as the band sat down twiddling our thumbs while our MD went back to get the score. Needless to say the performance was pants and we were placed last!
  6. robcav

robcav Member

At the Swiss Open in Lucerne in 1999, Yorkshire Co-op were rehearsing in the sound proof room in the bowels of the concert hall venue with about 15 minutes to go before we went on stage to perform the set test piece, Wilby's Paganini Variations. I was on solo euph. I was just about to embark upon the main theme when my first valve started turning round in the casing. Yes - that awful plastic valve guide had worn away. Now I've never been one for stocking up on the necessary accessories like valve guides and springs but oddly, about a fortnight before I had chance to pass Band Supplies in Leeds and popped in to buy three new valve guides and three new springs with the notion that I might actually put them in before the contest. A kind of amateur overhaul. I never got round to it - but I did have them in my euph case. The next problem was to find someone with a knife, as they always make the guide lip to big for the slot. In keeping with the incredibly efficient and helpful nature of the Swiss banding fraternity, one of the backroom staff produced the nation's multi-function tool and began to deftly shave off the plastic, nanometer by nanometer. With a perfect fit achieved and a liberal splash of valve oil the job was done - and then he told us we were due on stage. I'd no time to warm up but equally no time to get nervous about the performance to come. The valve worked and the performance wasn't too bad either. I've certainly learned my lesson about being prepared and always carry spare valve guides now.
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There are a couple I can think of.

Once at Pontins we were being a bit naughty and cueing a (I think) muted horn part onto Baritone. Our solo Bari was merrily warming up just before we were due to go on with the mute in but when he tried to take it was stuck fast. Because he was using a Ray Perkins mute (you know - the ones that taper back the other way at the end) he could get hold of it enough to get it out. Cue many attempts by just about everyone in the band to free baritone of mute. Including one (by a bass player :rolleyes: ) which involved thumping the baritone bell down onto a soft chair...

So now we have a stuck mute and a crumpled bell....:rolleyes:

The day was saved by the dentist boyfriend of 2nd cornet player, who happened to be carrying some dentist boring type tools in his car:dunno ...a quick drill through the bottom of the mute, he threaded the unfortunate baritones shoe laces through the hole and by turning the baritone over down the side of the mute to be able to pull it out :D .

One other I can remember was when playing at Weston one year - they had set up stage blocks to extend the small stage at the winter gardens. Our conductor was just getting ready to start when he noticed the bass trombone waving frantically at him. It turns out he'd kicked his stand and his music had fallen straight through the tiny gap in the stageing. The poor contest controller had to find a small boy from the audience to crawl underneath as all his stewards were too big and burly to get the part.

I don't think we got anywhere in either contest...:(
  8. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

At whychavon last year, we were getting ready to go on stage, and our rep player went to put his music in order and couldn't find it and realised he'd left the programme on the bus, which was already 20 mins down the road. So the sectretary had to ring the bus driver, to get him to meet our rep player (who was already running down the road) half way.

Twas exciting anyways..:rolleyes:
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Pontins, 1983 with the old COLCIB Band, on stage, ready to play, except the percussionist has left his sticks in his chalet. Cue Daddy running back to fetch them, and with the Pontins time limit, it was pretty tight. Fortunately he made it in time and we managed to secure 2nd place. ;)
  10. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Disaster is my middle name it seems, well some of the time, well once anyway and then it wasnt my fault really............ St Helens Contest 2004 just about to go on stage, oops Sterlingsop slipped and spilled the contents of her water bottle over my dots:ranting2: . not so bad i hear you cry but alas I had copied the dots on my psc (which unfortunately was not permanent ink) for some obscure reason and had left the original at home.
    Sunset rhapsody became sunset runny:hammer . Good job I could remember most of it.
    Moral of the story don't leave the original at home........
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Not really a pre-contest disaster, but contest related

4th section Yorkshire Area this year!!

We'd just played the 1st and 2nd movements quite well and as we were finishing off the 2nd movement and preparing to start the 3rd (that opens with a flugel solo) our poor flugel started waving frantically at out md...held up her horn and the 1st valve had packed in (on inspection later it turned out to be those dreaded valve guides) we finshed off the 2nd movement, got to the pause in between movement, and with nothing else to do garry whispered to our end front row cornet "can you play that?"

With coolness beyond belief and nerves of steel our cornet player (Russell Fenton) having never played the part and probably only having heard it played three or four times, slid accross, played the part beautifully trying his hardest to make himself sound like a flugel and even got remarked on the adjudicators comments as having a lovely flugel sound!!

Pure class and what a hero.

We came 4th! :biggrin:
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  12. ju33les

ju33les Member

Not a pre-contest panic but a last few bars b*lls-up!

Playing earlier this year at Preston we had just given a great rendition of Renaissance ....when calamity struck!!
    The ******** gong fell off it's stand so instead of a magnificent whooshing sound there was a miniscule gap followed by a clanging dink(and muted naughty words!) but the final chord was together and we got second :biggrin:

Ask Sparkly about her gonging at Pontin's too!
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Youth Entertainment Championships at the wintergardens in 2000 or 2001... can't remember now... anyway, we were about to go on stage when the second euph's water key broke off... 10 minutes of panicking and trying to fix the spring followed, until the previous band came off and we begged for help. Luckily they were a nice bunch (can't remember which band it was, sorry) and they lent us one of their euphs... a nice shiny maestro! We went on to win the contest, and the best euph section prize, so it didn't put us off too much...
  14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Years ago, before I got promoted to Bass, I was playing Cornet. I think it was 3rd Section at the Area in Darlington and we were playing Main St under Roy Curran, I was playing Rep at the time I think. We rolled up to the obligatory Working Mens Club in the morning for rehearsal, we all sat down and Mr. Curran brought us all in for the hymn and i couldn't get a note out of my instrument. Something had gone wrong with the valves. To this day I don't know what was wrong with it. In the end we had to ring up the parents of one of our cornet players (who wasn't playing cos he was playing Rugby for GB Schools) and had to get them to bring his cornet down for me to play. Luckily he didn't live far away. Those of you who are familiar with Mr. Curran can probably visualise his non impressed response to my instrument maintainance skills.....

Yesterday I had a minor panic. We were due to play Queen's Park in Castleford at 2pm, meeting at the bandroom in Barnsley at 12.45pm. It gets to around 12 and it suddenly dawns on me that I hadn't heard from the person who usually gives me a lift. Frantically I start phoning them, eventually get through at 12.20pm. "Can I have a lift to Castleford please". Reply: "I'm already in Castleford, been to Spring Festival and came straight here".

Oh Dear.

Frantic phoning of other band members who have to come down from Barnsley to Sheffield to get me and then onto Castleford. Think we broke many speed limits and several landspeed records to get there in time. Oh was I mocked upon arrival!!
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  15. six pints

six pints Active Member

back int he day when i was a young bairn of 18, id been away at bandcamp with Nothumberland County Band. comes to the friday, when we do our concert at the delightful alnwick playhouse. We were rehearsing until bout 5pm, rehearsal ends, so me and Penny had to run frantically round alnwick trying to find presents for all the teachers and helpers etc (which is hard to do after 5 when most of the shops are shut), manage that, even manage to grab a bag of chips. get back to the playhouse, gets changed, gets me trumpet out, was just warming up when me teacher comes in with an envelope for me. Twas my grade 8 results. Was already quite stressed afetr running round alnwick for the last 2 hours, so opens them, and finds out id passed. woohoo! gets so excited i dropped my trumpet on the edge of a case and the bell now has a loverly ding in it. Whoops! Felt like such a muppet (specially when i started crying cos i knew me grandad would be really annoyed!) it all turned out alright tho!
  16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Ah I think I remember that Cheryl, was that the same concert that you had to play the off stage trumpet solo in that dodgy piece???....the one i remember you miscounted!! :biggrin:
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Aaaah, Northumberland County Band leaving concerts! I didn't enjoy mine because the other busybodies who were leaving at the same time made me do the thankyous for Lesley Scott as opposed to Dave Hignett despite the fact that a) Dave had taught me for longest and b) I had been in the band the longest. :(

Not that I'm still bitter about it......!!! And I never got the £10 book token Mr. Snowdon told the audience we would all recieve! Tight ********s! :eek:
  18. six pints

six pints Active Member

yeah thats the one! gave up on counting eventually and waited for cues of dave- unfortunately he never knew where i would be hiding! i remember in that piece there was a section 112 bars long with 84 time changes- fun!
  19. six pints

six pints Active Member

i let penny do dave ;) and i did the returning students- piece of cake!
  20. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

And I got big Phil!

As for Trevor Snowdon...he doesn't know his ******** from his elbow, I just didn't like the guy