Laptop memory upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

I've bought some extra memory for my laptop. I went through, did the system scan, and bought the recommended memory. Very pleased with Crucial, no problems there. Placed the order at 11:36 yesterday, chose the "free shipping 3 - 5 days from despatch" as opposed to the £2.49 "1 - 2 days from despatch". I had an email at 21:36 last night stating that my order was packed and ready to be despatched by first class post. I was expecting then to arrive on Monday. It landed on my door step this morning at 8:55. So take this as a recommendation for if you're looking for memory.

Now to the problem.

We've fitted the new memory, have added 1GB to my existing 512. We've put the 1GB in slot 2 and restarted the computer. It now tells me I have 1GB of memory. We've swapped the cards around, putting the 1GB into slot one (thus proving that both slots [invidually at least] actually work) and started up. Again, it just says I've got the 1GB. I've rerun the "scan my system" on crucial and it tells me I still have one empty slot.

Soooooo anyone of you wonderful helpful computery type peoples out there able to tell me why it will only recognise memory from one slot please? :)
  2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hi Di

What is your laptop?
    How old is it?

Some machines have a maximum capacity of memory it will recognise so it doesn't matter how much you put in it will only recognise that maximum!!

Just a thought.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Matt

It's a Toshiba Equium L20-198, approx 18 months old.

According to Crucial, the maximum I can use is 2GB.

Here are a couple of screen shots from the scan, (after the new memory has been added) including some of the FAQs and answers.

We've browsed the net and found some people asking similar questions, but no one seems to have come up with an answer/solution yet. :-?:(
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Sorry, correction. Approx 2.5 years old. :rolleyes:
  5. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

You could try joining and posting your problem on a technical help forum, there are plenty about, some linked to manufacturers of computer equipment, and others that are independent, such as this one, which I find helpful.
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi Di,

Some computers requre matched amounts of memory in both slots - i.e. 2*512 or 2*256 or one slot empty.

Some computers will only accept a max of 1G depending on age

Somewhere in your paperwork for the computer it will say or indicate the max.

I'm lucky. My Vaio recognises and uses 2G but I do occasionally get probs as that is way over the max recommendation. I have sort of gotten round the problem with extra cooling. Still, that doesn;t help you.

Have you contacted Toshiba?

Some machines have a switch or a jumper you can set. Again, look n the manual for info.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  7. mikelyons

If you notice, the crucial scan indicates oyou have 1G in one slot in the scan and indicates you can upgrade to 2G with 2*1G modules. This suggests to me that you can only have two equal size modules, not two odd ones.
  8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Indeed. I think Mike is right. Looking at the Toshiba website the expandable information always says 2*<the same size module>. So it looks like you'll have to buy another 1GB module.
  9. Di

Di Active Member

As well as browsing on google, finding several forums where people have asked similar questions, Steve has joined one himself and asked. No answer as yet. Which I why I said I'd ask my good tMP buddies also. :)

It may be the answer and probably we'll have to ask Crucial on Monday (only drawback we've found with them is that their support isn't open today :( ). However, when I first ran the scan before buying the memory, it said "512 in slot 1" and gave several options:

Add another 512
    Add 1GB
    Add 2 x 1GB

Gosh, I didn't think I'd be able to retrieve yesterdays scan, thought it would have been overridden in my cache....

See also in the questions where it says I don't have to have matching modules. :dunno
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Where abouts are you looking Matt? I'm looking at the Tosh site and they don't even list my computer in the compatibility list. :(
  11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

If you have a look HERE on the details for most of the laptops it says regarding the memory (for example):

System memory standard : 2,048 (1,024 + 1,024) MB

which indicates you must have the same size module in each slot.
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Ah right, I see. But that's buying a new computer with 2 cards fitted, rather than an old computer with an upgrade. Me thinks either a call to Toshiba or Crucial will provide the answer. I have managed to double my memory, so in a way it's been succesful, but it's at the expense of tripling it.
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

I had a problem when i did the same thing with my toshiba and we ended up having to call the toshiba helpdesk thing it works now so giving them a call might be an idea?

Mine eventually ended up completely crashing cos we had messed around with it so much but the helpdesk told us how to get it back and its fine now
  14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I would guess that the two memory chip types are incompatible with each other and thats where your problem lies. Chances are the only way to fix it is buy a matched pair of SODIMM's. A BIOS upgrade is a long shot but fraught with danger, not one for the faint hearted.
  15. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Its also possible the ram might have slightly different BUS speeds, for example 512 might be 553MHz but the 1GB stick might be a 600MHz, i see this problem alot at work when we try and upgrade RAM on PCs. Check the speeds are the same and do your best to get a matching pair of sticks simply because they work better when they match
  16. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Yes, and no. Provided the memory bus speed is correctly set up for the 512MB module then adding a faster module shouldn't cause any problems. It'll just slow down to the speed of the older module.

I would agree that matched pairs are always the best way to go, especially if you have a motherboard with dual-channel capability. I wonder if that's what's happening here; the bios sees two sticks, tries to enable dual-channel and falls back to a single module when it finds they are different sizes.

17. Di

Di Active Member

Right, well I've spoken to the nice lady at Crucial, yesterday, and after gathering more info, again today.

Yesterday she asked if a) the new 1GB stick was in slot one. b) if I had the latest bios update and c) if my old memory card was double or single sided.

a) The card had been tried in both slots and still one only recognised.
    b) No, the bios hadn't been meddled with.
    c) Wasn't sure, but thought the chip was double sided.

I also told her all the numbers on my old chip and the make and model of my laptop.

I checked again the card was in slot one, and checked if the 512 is double sided. It is. And last night Steve updated the bios.

I contacted her again today with the information she asked for and confirmed both my cards are double sided and that the bios had just been upgraded. She asked today what my system was, and said that
    "There seems to be a known issue with this system and that some customers report half showing".

To resolve the issue I can either buy another 1GB card or send the new one back and buy another 512 even though the scan thingy did tell me I didn't need matched pairs.

18. mikelyons

Given the current cost of 1G, just do it. Ye know ye will! ;)
  19. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

I agree, new RAM modules cost nothing at all, i remeber first RAM upgrade i ever bought was a 512 stick to go into an old Tower system which still used SD-RAM and it cost nearly 60quid, and that was only about 6years ago, now-days they cant GIVE SD-RAM away, DDR2 will be obsolete soon aswell as most new mobo's are coming with DD3 Slots on them.

But yeah, upgrade to the 2GB you wont regret it, especially on a laptop.
  20. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

All rather a puzzle, I have a Toshiba Equium A60. that had a much smaller amount of memory from new. So I also used crucial to obtain 1GB and fitted it. My machine shows the complete amount as 1.18GB now. Unfortunately I can't remember the original amount but I am sure it was more than 180 MB, all rather strange.