Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Chunky, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have been given a Sony Vaio Laptop by my boss, who has bought himself a new one.

It works fine, only problem is he has partioned the hard drive, this he did to separate his personal stuff from work stuff.

Trouble is now I am putting my photos and music on I am getting a low disk space warning on the C drive.

I have transfered photos to D drive but its not enough to stop the warnings.

Am loathed to transfer the music to D drive as I seem to believe that itunes likes to remain where it is but I maybe wrong?

So can any tecchies please advise:

1) Is it easier just to move iTunes and if so how without losing all my tunes
    2) Is it easy to de-partition, and if so how do I do it

Running XP if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Ian - if your boss doesn't need the additional drive, and neither do you, then perhaps consider a fresh clean install of XP... that way you'd end up with only the one drive - totally empty (well, apart from XP stuff).

Alternately, one can easily move iTunes libraries without losing any music. You can also safely remove partition D.
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

To do a fresh clean install I of course would need to save everything then re-install, which will be quite a time consuming affair.

I assume to remove the partition or move iTunes would be, if so how?

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

There's a quick guide to removing redundant XP HD Partitions here. The partition you're removing must be empty which of course means you can't delete the one with the system software on it.

Quick Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself and cannot vouch for its accuracy, so be sure you have a good backup before you try it, and all your install disks to hand in case it goes Pete Tong. :eek:
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for that Andy. At the moment all that is on the D drive are photos, everything else is on C drive.

Think moving the iTunes library is best bet. Or convincing the good lady that an external drive is a worthwhile investment!
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Ian, I would re-partition the drive into one big single partition. We used to use separate partitions back in the days when disk sizes were small. These days it is no longer common practice to have separate partitions and it can be a bit of a pain, as you are finding.

You don't say how big the drive is but if its and 80 then you might want to look at getting something bigger. Also get a USB caddy and then look at a product called Acronis TrueImage. That will make a complete backup of your hard drive onto another drive. You can then replace the drive and put your original in the USB caddy and restore stuff to your new bigger drive. Just be careful to get the right type of drive (either IDE or SATA).

Alternatively, if you don't want the expense of getting a new drive then backup the contents of the D: partition to CD or other removeable media and delete the partition. You can then use a product called Partition Magic to resize your C: partition to use the whole disk. Then restore the backed up stuff from removeable media.

There are cheaper alternatives to the above software if you poke around the internet long enough.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As John said above, the trend is now to have one single partition as it can be backed up easily on another because hard-drives are so cheap. However, I still prefer to have a separate partition for the operating system as my recent experience of being 'carpet-bombed' with virii would have meant losing lots of valuable data ... erm, I haven't yet bought an external drive to back up my two hard-drives. No-one's mentioned checking the page-file system yet. Maybe too much has been allocated to serve as background RAM? Or possibly temporary files have not yet been removed to release more memory?
  8. Hi, to gain a bit more space on your hard drive right click on your recycle bin and go into properties then lower the percentage used, as its default is normally 10% of your hard drive.
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Also, clear out your temporary folders and internet files, get rid of your history files and so on. Personally, I'm with Tom on the keep data and programs in different partitions, but maybe you should also check for redundant programs that you don't use and get rid of them adn any other users that no longer exist as the user data can take up gigs of space.
  10. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

A lot of good advice given already here, I can only add to the idea of an acquisition of an external hard drive.
    However I am surprised this topic is still here in random chat etc. as most computer aimed topics seem to have been moved to the relatively new "Computer corner".
    Having just come from there, where I found threads I thought had gone down into the basement, were still alive and active there.
    Some good threads in there regarding new websites, music and other software, plus stuff about computing in general that you may have thought were dead and gone.
  11. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

No sooner said it, and woops here it is.
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Did anyone time that? ;)
  13. TheMusicMan

We're omni present on tMP Mike... ;)
  14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for all the above advice much appreciated.

However I have made a big mistake. Like an idiot I thought that I could do the following:

As all my tunes are on my iPod I could delete the software from my lap top, together with the library. Re-install iTunes on D drive and copy all tunes from iPod to library. WRONG! It appears that my iPod will only sync with the computer its set up to!

So I throw myself at your mercy again and ask is there a way I can transfer from iPod to iTunes?

15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yep, get yourself a copy of Anapod Copygear and Anapod explorer from redchair software. Be careful when you connect the iPod that the autosync options are not enabled on iTunes or Anapod.
  16. TheMusicMan

As John said Ian... make sure that when you connect your iPod to the PC, that iTunes is not set to auto sync the song lists.

There are several programs that will allow you to copy your iPod songs to your PC. I used one at one point but I can't remember which one is was. If you're stuck I shall have a search for you, just shout.
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks again guys. Feeling a bit embarrased because of my stupidity!

Have had a quick look at Anapod but also have found other freeware versions. I assume that when I add new music to the library I will have transfer to the iPod using self same software?

18. TheMusicMan

Ian, I can't fully remember the process when I did this, but as I mentioned previously please ensure that your version of iTunes is not set to auto sync - just in case.

When you connect your iPod and have this new software running, I seem to remember I got asked if I wanted to sync from iPod to PC, or PC to iPod.

The iPod is simply an external disc drive after all, and the software you have downloaded will almost treat it as that so it then copies all the files from the iPod to your machine. You can set up your iPod to act as an external hard drive using iTunes, and then it wont auto-sync either - you have to then check each song you want sync'ed and manually invoke the synchronistion.

To answer your question, after you have managed to retrieve all the songs on your iPod to your PC, you can then exit this software, disconnect your iPod and and launch iTunes. Then set iTunes to auto-sync, reconnect your iPod and iTunes will once again synchronise all the music on the PC with your iPod.

Good luck...
  19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks John!

I found some software (for free) that should do the job, thanks to all again.