Land 'o Burns Contest, Troon

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by bruceg, Aug 30, 2005.

1. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Venue: Walker Halls, Troon
    Date: 27th August 2005
    Adjudicator(s): John Maines
    Format: Entertainment Programme

Place/Band/Conductor/(Section)/Draw/Pts

1. Whitburn Andrew Duncan (C) 16 195
    2. Scottish Co-op Allan Ramsay (C) 14 193
    3. Kirkintilloch Alistair Orr (C) 17 192
    4. Unison Kinneil Paul Drury (C) 13 191
    5. Bo'ness & Carriden Brian Keachie (C) 2 189
    6. Newmilns & Galston Craig Anderson (C) 1 188
    7. Lochgelly James Chamberlain (2) 2 6 186
    8. Shotts St. Patrick's Brass Alan Duguid (3) 3 12 185
    9. Johnstone Silver Gavin Lindsay (1) 15 184
    10. Irvine & Dreghorn David McKellar (3) 9 182
    11. Buckhaven & Methil Bob McDonald (3) 7 181
    12. Coalburn Silver Gareth Bowman (4) 4 180
    13. Annan Town David Shanks (2) 10 179
    14. Clydebank Burgh Alan Duguid (2) 3 178
    15. Brass Sounds Inverclyde Alistair McCorkell (4) 11 176
    16. Campbeltown Brass Craig Anderson (3) 5 175
    17. Penicuick Silver Frank Culross (4) 8 174

Best Instrumentalist - Paul Keirnan, Scottish Co-op
    Best Principal Cornet - Kirsty Abbots, Scottish Co-op
    Best Euphonium - Andy McLean, Kirkintilloch
    Best Soprano Cornet - Scott Forrest, Whitburn
    Best Bass Section - Whitburn
    Dress & Deportment - Campbeltown Brass
    Highest Placed Ayrshire Band - Newmilns & Galston

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burns Contest
    Bass Section
    Troon
    Scottish Co-op
    b)Entertainment Programme
  3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Thought it was a great day and (as ever) a good contest. Good to see a fair audience as well. Always so much easier to enjoy the day when your band plays well and i thought mine did ok!

Paul Drury
    Unison Kinneil

4. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I totally agree Paul - the folks at Dalmellington showed once again that they know how to organise a good day's contesting. The Lochgelly crew certainly enjoyed the day - you'd have thought we'd just won at the Nationals when the results were being announced :)

Congratulations to Sandy and the rest of the contest committee for a job well done!

5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Just one tiny contentious issue - there seemed to be a lot of requests for early/late draws. Perhaps there would be some kind of benefit in a pre-draw of some description which might put every band on a level playing field.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I actually mentioned that to some of the Dalmellington people on the day and they said that if they were to do that then they would have to introduce open adjudication. Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

How did the top bands sound bearing in mind it's the open in a few weeks time? Whitburn dark horses for a placing at the Open again? Co-op under new residency sounding in good shape? Kirkie continuing a good run of results?

8. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Open or closed? I don't mind either. I just enjoy the whole contest experience :)

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I thought Whitburn were very good and I had Kirkie placed second. Co-op had a bit of an off day in my opinion but still sounded great. Whitburn might be worth a flutter, they definetly sound like they're coming back on to a good run of form.

10. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

Best principal cornet- Kirsty Abbots, Scottish Co-op

Is this the same Kirsty from Carlton Main?
    Was she guesting with co-op or have i missed some transfer news?

11. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Congratulations on being the highest placed non-championship section band!! A big WELL DONE!!:clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Burns Contest
    Bass Section
    Troon
    Scottish Co-op
    b)Entertainment Programme
  13. bexy

bexy New Member

Just like to say well done to Scott Forrest for getting the sop prize. You deserve it, especially after your performance at NYBBS.

Bexy x

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

She was guesting.

15. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

WELL DONE KIRSTY! :clap: and all the other winners!

16. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Well done to all the winners but superb results for Lochgelly and Shotts, 2 bands who are playing the best outwith the Championships at the moment. Agree with Paul Drury about Kinneils performance(and not just because I was guesting) but they had a cracking programme and a big sound when needed.

17. Les Wood

Les Wood Member

Pre-draw not a good idea in my opinion - look what happened at the Scottish Open a couple of years ago. Bands will just turn up around the time they are due to play, therefore audience numbers will dwindle considerably. I remember Besses playing No. 1 at the Scottish Open in 2003, and there were more people on stage than in the auditorium of the Royal Concert Hall... cue tumbleweed. It's a different situation at Brass in Concert where there is a pre-draw, but contest is sold out months in advance.

I like the idea of open adjudication though - you could argue that it is essential for an entertainment contest. Would force bands to be a wee bit more imaginative (and, no, I don't mean dressing up in daft costumes or acting out stupid "routines"! In fact, points should be deducted for that IMHO!).

Les Wood
    Kirkintilloch Band

18. Incognito

Incognito Member

I thought they stopped giving bandsmens tickets and started charging?
    I am sure the last time i was there I refused on principal to pay for a ticket!

19. DLogan

DLogan Member

We have always supplied bandsmens tickets for our contest - which is partly what your entry fee covers.

Diane
    Dalmellington Band

20. Moy

Moy Active Member

If I am expected to buy a ticket at a contest I am particpating in I don't go in.

Mean Aberdonian I am.;)

21. blennon

blennon New Member

Eckyboy, thanks for your kind words. We have been competing well at Shotts.

Alan has been the notable difference. Unfortunately we could not maintain his 100% contest victory record with the band at 'Brass in the Park' where we only struggled to a disgraceful 12th!! We now have a crap record of only 7 wins in 8 contests under Alan. Tut Tut.
    The players take responsibility, though. We can blame too many engagements on the trot, playing a gala day same morning etc etc, but as young Mr. Duguid said in rehearsal tonight, in order to sustain form we must not let complacency slip in and be fully motivated and disciplined. Sadly that did not happen at BITP and we were pish.
    Ach well, there's always the Nationals!

B