Ladies Choir

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by satchmo shaz, Apr 22, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi everyone, I have recently taken on a ladies choir who have been struggling recently. I need some ideas to kick start them. They sing in 4 part harmony and do some barbershop stuff. They could do with some new music but I'm not sure where to start. I have ordered a book off the internet about teaching choirs but it hasnt arrived yet. I'm a bit of a novice at this as I havent conducted a choir before.

Any input would be apprciated

thanks Shaz

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. satchmo shaz

Blimey ! thanks for that:D

4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Get Whoopi Goldberg to join, she did alright for that bunch of nuns!

5. satchmo shaz

shes busy on a Thursday.... shame, still would like 4 part arr of I will follow him"........... any ideas?

Also I got hold of a second hand book on choirs by Imogene Holst.............. very good

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I should have mentioned that if you googled 'voice training', a lot of useful information can be acquired to get the basics of voice production and projection. I have found that this is useful for brass players too (... to a certain degree). :)

7. satchmo shaz

Cool, thanks I will try that too ;)

8. satchmo shaz

Well I have my first concert tonight with my new choir................ I need my head examining!!

Was out Sat night with dance band, out last night with brass band and tonight with choir!!!
    Night off tomorrow though

9. Binky

Binky New Member

For new music..lots of choice both barbershop stuff and 'normal' 4 part female voice try jwpepper.com lot's of popular music arranged for female voices not available in this country like "May it be" (Enya) (SSA) and "In to the West" (Annie Lennox) (2 part)and there's lots more...and it's reasonably priced..even to have it sent from u.s. Also try Alan Simmons music alansimmonsmusic.com his arrangements are simple but effective. There are quite a few fun warm ups available in books which should be on musicroom.com and jwpepper.com which may help. I sing in a 4 part choir (SATB) but sometimes we do just ladies stuff. Hope you have a good concert.

10. satchmo shaz

thanks for that! I have been wondering about new music;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ladies Choir Hi
    Ladies Choir
    novice
    havent
    book
  12. satchmo shaz

well the choir concert went very well and I've learnt a lot about singing too;)

I think they think I'm a bit bonkers but they laughed at my jokes!:biggrin: