Ladies and Gentlemen of tMP, I despair...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I have just been on the phone to my older brother...

As some of you are aware, I have two young nephews and I was telling my brother how we are having Teaching Skills classes which basically gives us tools, experience and help when it comes to teaching the kiddies in schools, music centres or private tuition.

I asked my brother if he would be interested in having my nephews learn an instrument when they are old enough. Of course I would happily teach them for free.

He said "Yes, but it has to be guitar, bass or drums."

I asked "Why? I couldn't teach those. I don't know enough about them. What's wrong with them learning Brass which I can teach?"

His reply......

"It's not cool enough.
  2. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

A nice slice of reality for you . . . . . it's a shame .. .

The world of teaching is full of frustrations like that.

I continue to be astonished by the number of beginner brass players automatically shunted along to their local brass band to be taught by the 2nd horn player . . . . if there is no other option than this, fine, but when there are lots of highly qualified brass teachers around (ones that teach concert pitch as well!!) it sticks in your throat a bit. (ducks to avoid oncoming flame >:)
  3. Hells Bones

It was a real kick in the teeth.

He's seen what I have done, where I have performed; RAH, Symphony Hall, Festival Hall, Bridgewater Hall, St. David's Hall, Chester Cathedral, Huddersfield Town Hall, Buxton Hall, Brangwyn Hall, a tour of Germany plus loads of others.

How can anyone say that is not cool?

Fair enough, my family has paid loads of money for me to do all these things but he would have a vast majority of it cut down by getting free lessons.

I just don't get it.

Watch his reaction when I propose getting his kids into Warhammer....
  4. It's a fact; there's nothing cool about brass bands. Stuck in the 19th century.
  5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

We have to make brass bands cool then. It's up to us to get it to be like that. The band | played with, not long before I joined them recently, gave a concert of music for some fans of an indie band. They gave the band a raptorous applause and were really genouine. The programme contained cheesy music but you have to at an event like that. So it can be done.
  6. brut33

brut33 Member

My band are cool. We tour every couple of years, sometimes with mini-tours on top of that. Weekends away, regular parties and events... oh, and I'm a cool guy so the kids really dig me ;-)

Sounds like your brother is on the wind up, and I bet that when the kids are old enough to start deciding for themselves you'll get a more positive response!
  7. brut33

brut33 Member

8. Hells Bones

No, he was being serious.
    But I got a better idea...

Ask my sister-in-law ;)
  9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Drums and guitar definately have the biggest uptake in instrumental lessons (that i am aware of). Especially since guitar hero has been invented!

Personally i think it's great, if children want to get involved in music then we should embrace it! Better they play something they want to play, as they'll stand more chance of keeping at it, than forcing them to play something they don't want to and cosequently giving up soon after!
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

A cool brass band - whats the world coming to
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

12. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Chavs, hoodies and bass players! Hallelujah :D
  13. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

You could "do" his car....the guy's not fit to look after kids....must be very embarrassing for you....deserves all he gets if you ask me....
  14. Bonelover

Bonelover New Member

Ok, so ask yourself, how many guitar/drum players keep on going after a certain age when the coolness has worn off? Brass grows and you become part of a family like no other.
    Brass has always been "cool" for me. Long may it last!
  15. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

16. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

No problem - 2 out of 3 aint bad - either Bass or drums would both be acceptable banding options and you can even offer a choice of what flavour bass to blow into!
  17. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Bass guitar I think he meant RTL!!
  18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Or might he have meant double bass. Perhaps we'll never know :(
  19. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

i think an interesting point here is that guitat bass and drums....can give almost instant results idividually and in ensemble. Quick four beat pattern on kick snareand hat, 4 power chords on guitar, 2 positions on bass,,,,,hey ho its nirvana.
    125 quid for a git, amp lead and strap......4k for a tuba..
  20. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

guitar, bass or drums.?????
    For goodness sake get the kids into the drums then, Brass bands are terribly short of decent percussionists, plus it is a skill the youngster can use in most other forms of music as well.
    By the way, until brass bands start playing 20th century modern and popular music,cheesy though it may be, we will be uncool.