Lacquer or silver plate?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mephistopheles, May 28, 2009.

1. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Hi all, I'm buying a tenor horn, something I'm very new to after playing perc for some years. But wondered what's best, lacquered or silver plated? I'm aware that silver is more hardwearing but is there any difference in sound?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    all
    silver
    something
    perc
    Lacquer
  3. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

silver makes a brighter sound clearer sound wheras laquer makes a darker sound.
    i had the same descision to make when buying my new prestige euph.
    i also think silver instruments looks nicer when looked after.

4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

BSP every time! Gold sopranos look S*** anyway!

5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Personally I don't find much difference in tone quality between finishes - I believe that a player produces their own sound, pretty much, regardless of the instrument. MOuthpiece makes more difference.
    Silver plate is harder wearing and will look better for longer so it's usually worth the extra.

6. I played my Besson as a laquered horn for the first twenty years, then had the same horn silver plated. I don't know that there was a real change in the sound, but I found that there was a much better response. I can only describe it as more alive. Intonation was not affected.

7. gaj

gaj New Member

I have had my Rath bass trom which was laq., now totally silver plated, it now has a slightly brighter sound but I also have a laq bell which gives a darker sound.Best of both worlds!!:p

If you choose silver plate dont have a frosted finish always go for bright finish:clap:

reg
    g

8. Despot

Despot Member

And for that reason is easier to sell, should the need arise down the line.

9. rgdunning

rgdunning Member

I bought my Trombone a few years ago and as an instrument technician i'd go for Silver plate anyday. Its so much better to keep looking fab and very cheap to repair when ya have those unfortunate bangs and dints.... Its silver plate all the way for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I've also had instruments newly plated and don't find any real difference.
    I also agree to avoid satin or frosted plate - it looks terrible and with time becomes ingrained with dirt and difficut to clean.
    The BH/Besson instruments of the 70s/80s were (I've been told by technicians) plated this way to cover up imperfections.

11. barrytonegirl

barrytonegirl Member

Mine is lacquered and the best baritone I have ever owned and/or played. Had an offer to get it silver plated but have never played a silver plated on that comes close to the one I have now. It's a 967 Besson Sovereign, have also heard the York baritones are very variable, don't know if that's the same with the rest of the York range but my mate tried six baritones before he found one he liked. Can you still buy satin look instruments, thought they went out of fashion in the 80's?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    all
    silver
    something
    perc
    Lacquer
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

i rather buy a pint than buy a laquered Instrument;)

14. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Thanks for your help, silver plate it is!

15. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Good call! I switched from silver to lacquer and disliked it so much i switched back within two weeks!

The next question - Gold or silver mouthpieces? ;)

16. This has been covered pretty well under another thread.

17. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Sorry! As a newbie i've not found that one yet.

Cheers,

G

18. I don't remember the name of the thread, but it is interesting. Someone help us out here.

19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member