Lack of trust in the world of new technology!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

EDIT: Do NOT click on any of the links in this post. They may be dangerous!
    Robert, Mod

I'm having a slight panic and wondered if any computer experts out there can reassure me. Checking my emails tonight I received one from a 'company' (?) claiming there had been some difficulty collecting a recent payment from my credit card and to contact my card company to sort out. :eek: Not only have I not purchased anything from this company, but I have never heard of them! When checking the email address it was sent to, I realised it had come to me by mistake. However, still suspicious, I phoned my card company just to check that nothing untoward had happened on my account. Everything appeared okay. That sorted, I was in two minds whether to respond and inform this 'company' that the email had come to my address by mistake or just to delete and ignore. My stupid 'sense' decided to respond and inform the company that the email had been misdirected. However, I then received an email back saying my reply was undeliverable. :eek: Now I am even more concerned. Have I stupidly allowed 'someone' access to my computer by responding?

i have posted the emails below and hope that someone out there can reassure me. :(

tMM: Email contents removed - sorry!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trust
    Lack
    technology
    world
    any
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I suspect this is a hoax, but it is hard to see what they get out of it :confused:

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi Susan, just done a search for worldpay, and come up with this

On the front page they have this statement

IMPORTANT NEWS: Bogus email: in the last few hours some customers have received at least one email from a 3rd party pretending to be WorldPay - some using the bogus address merchant@uk.worldpay.com / shopper@uk.worldpay.com and the name Dave Gollick - but other names and addresses may also be used. This email is not from WorldPay - we recommend you delete it and do not open any attachments it may contain.
    Hope this helps.
    Craigy

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

You did the right thing by contacting your card company. This is a classic example of a "phishing" scam - the spammer that sent you this email is attempting to get you to give him your information so that he can use it.

As long as you didn't click on any of the links or open any attachments, you probably did not do any permanent damage.

In general, any unsolicited email should be binned, preferably without opening it. Legitimate banks, credit card companies, and businesses NEVER ask for this sort of information by email.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Thanks

There was a link and I nearly opened up but decided against this.

Very frightening how easy it is to be duped thought isn't it. You think you're being helpful but in the end it's not worth it. I will certainly not respond in the future. However, my credit card company did say to respond and ask for more details! :eek:

Won't listen to that advice again!

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I got one of these today too. I usually just delete them.

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Very bad advice from the card company!

Even if I think that an email is legitimate, I never simply click on a link (unless I know for sure where the email came from). It is very easy to mask the text part of a link to show that it goes somewhere that it really doesn't. I always type the address into my browser by hand. Many phishers are very sophisticated, and have built sites that look exactly like the real site they are pretending to be. If you aren't paying attention to the address bar, you could be silently redirected to one of these fake sites.

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Although I didn't click and respond via a link, I did just respond by clicking on 'reply'.

With it returning to me as 'undeliverable' does that mean the recipient of this bogus email will not have gotten my email address?

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

With this one, you're probably OK, because the address was @worldpay.com (a legitimate domain) and it looks like their server rejected the email.

However, the mail server can still log the attempt on their side even if it returns something as undeliverable. Depending on who controls the mail server, this can be dangerous.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Be aware though that scammers can emulate email addresses so that you think you are sending an email to @nowhere but it is really going to @somewhere... you have been warned.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trust
    Lack
    technology
    world
    any
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just had two of them :mad:

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The thing to remember, foremost of all, that replying actually confirms that you have a legitimate and active email account. That information could unlease a torrent of hoax and fraudulent emails to your inbox and maybe just once you might be duped. Beware!!!

15. axio

axio Member

No respectable organization will ever send you an email that asks you for your logon details inside the email, or the webpage the email displays.

16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

brassneck is wise in the ways of phishing. Key things to remember:

- Reputable vendors and credit card companies will address you by name, not 'Dear Customer,' or 'Dear Member.' If you see those headers on what looks like an official HTML 'Letterhead,' delete it and use your own tried and true link to the company to verify any issues.

- Don't click on any of the links on their e-mail, as brassneck mentioned, it's probably a redirect to their own site 'environment' that makes the unwitting victim think they're on a legit site... which leads to a false sense of security.

- Also, DO NOT give any account or other pertinent information (username, passwords, ID numbers, etc...) on any of these sites if you happen to get lured in. Again, only do your business on the legitimate URL you've been given by the company or vendor upon signing up for their service. It'll still give them an indication they have a valid e-mail address to keep spamming and phishing against, as well as now they know more about you.

- Finally, report the e-mail to the legitimate vendor for them to investigate... and they will. Most bigger companies/vendors have fraud & abuse departments who love to take care of things like this. Make a cyber-security geek's day and report phishing attempts.

17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

its spam, just delete it- people on another forum I'm on have had the same thing.

18. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I have now deleted it. But, how do you know when it is spam and not a genuine correspondence that has gone astray? That's the issue. This looked fairly genuine simply because the email address it was sent to was not mine. I believed it had been directed to me by mistake! If it had come direct to me I would have known immediately it was a con!

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If in doubt, I always delete - if it's important, they'll contact you again.

20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

You'll may also need to run a virus scanner - all 14 copies of that email that I received contained a W32/Downloader.ADRU virus in the attached .zip file

21. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Good idea, Andy. :tup

22. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Yes, maybe a good idea, but didn't realise how long it would take! Just got to 28000 files scanned and still going! :eek:

Edit: Make that 42000!!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006