lack of news, 4br headlines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tx7887, Feb 7, 2008.

1. tx7887

tx7887 New Member

so, one of this weeks big news stories is that David Childs took some of band practice at Cory recently. Is this worthy of a news story, or another example of how biased the site is towards certain championship section bands? Or because he is Welsh?!
    Look out for next weeks story- reporting that Bob Childs has allegedly blown his nose recently, and Russell Gray had chips for dinner last tuesday!
    Oh to be a brass band celebrity! :)
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I think you'll probably find that they publish whatever news is sent to them .

Why not send tham something about your band and see if it gets put on their website?
  3. MattB

MattB Member

lol, though the original post was funny (as well as true!)
  4. tx7887

tx7887 New Member

last week our md had extra sugar in his tea, AND he had brown suede loafers on!! Just typing out the news story now! ;-)
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

This is linked to Dago's "Brass Band Celebrity" thread. In defence of the brass band media, they can only publish what they're sent, and if the 4BR news page only updated when there was some "major" news there would be precious little news to report ouside the major contest weekends - in a sense this is the same problem that afflicts 24 hour news channels, in that they have to put something out even if there's no actual new developments. So when Scrogglethorpe Pickle Works Silver Prize Band* send out a press release that they've bought a new tam-tam beater, if it's a slow news week it gets in.

Some bands/players use this to their advantage to keep their name in the media, and good luck to them. If I'm not interested, I just won't bother reading it. Championship bands are more likely to have a management structure that includes a press officer. I think you'll find that those bands/"celebrities" who feature most often are those that can actually be bothered to send proper press releases out. When I was at Blackley I sent press releases all the time letting people know what we were up to, and most of them got in, unless I was daft enough to send them on the Nationals weekend.

Also I quite like reading what other bands are up to, especially local to me. And since I don't pay tuppence towards the upkeep of 4BR, I tend to feel that it's a bit churlish to complain about the content.

*PS I made that up. I have no idea if SPWSPB have actually bought any percussion gear :D
  6. Pav

Pav Member

They're now saving up for a tam-tam.

There's a charity concert (with raffle) this Sunday, if anyone's interested. :D
  7. Anno Draconis

Look out for details on 4BR news pages! :D
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I think you also have to be aware of 4br's business model. They aren't charging for access to the site, which means that they are probably deriving a large percentage of their income from selling advertising.

To make money selling advertising on the Web, you have to drive traffic to your site. The most important means of doing this is search engine hits. More people are going to be searching for information on the "big-name" bands and the "celebrities" than on "Scrogglethorpe Pickle Works Silver Prize Band" (*nods to AD for this excellent band name*) so these types of stories are more valuable for driving traffic to the site, keeping it free for you to read.

Everything AD said is also true. The main reason why many bands don't get any publicity is that they don't send out press releases. Don't be afraid of rejection. Even if you don't see any results from the majority of your releases, if don't send any then you have zero chance of results.
  9. Pav

Pav Member

Go on, I dare you....:biggrin:
  10. MattB

MattB Member

They sound like a great lot! Anyone got a contact number??

Seriously, I've just made it in the headlines for taking over at Radcliffe, and I'm not famous, so there you go! Mind you, do you reckon they might include a piccy next time if I pick my nose too???

11. Anno Draconis

:clap: You lose 100% of the races you don't enter.

In my experience, if you take the trouble to produce a reasonably well formatted, spellchecked, grammatically comprehensible PR and send it in as a word document, they'll generally publish it - this goes for the printed media as well. Doesn't seem to matter what level of band or how earth-shattering (or not :D ) your news is.
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Interestingly, a (currently unsubstantiated) rumour has reached me that there may be a new site in the pipeline that concentrates solely on news that doesn't rely on you being 'famous'.

That might be interesting if / when it happens.
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

Love the thread.

I'm all for news but the "conductor takes band practice" news article that is quite prevalent on 4BR at times is probably where editorial discretion should come in. You know who you are!
  14. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm sure you'd all me moaning if 4barsrest decided to close down the website... and you had no news at all!

It's the only website of its kind, and we're very lucky to have it - all for free!

It's constantly updated and contest coverage is nearly always fantastic, be grateful for what we've got!
  15. mark_euph

mark_euph Member

To be honest i'm a webmaster of my own bands site and whenever i send in news its posted without problem as soon as; its nice to know that, although people don't know our band, our articles are posted.

Link for any of you that may be interested :
  16. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Agreed-our webmaster's news and press releases normally make it on within 24 hours. It's a great service.
  17. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Well, they could do what journalists are supposed to do of course, which is to be curious and find their own stories instead of just waiting for the phone to ring. But in reality you are of course right - the bottom line is that not very much happens in the band world which is very exciting. And as someone else has pointed out, 4BR has to keep the advertisers happy. That's business!

Absolutely. Some people just don't know which side their bread's buttered.
  18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Editorial discretion is indeed the key. The internet has many advantages and good qualities, but one of its disadvantages is that it allows everyone to have their say, no matter how inarticulate, illiterate or just plain wrong they are - and to say it at length! (You only have to look at my ramblings on this website to see the truth of this statement!)

Newsprint editors have a finite space to fill and edit accordingly, including the good stuff and excluding the dross. The same principle ought to apply to web-based journals. But as mentioned above, if you are not charging your readers and are reliant on advertisers for your existence, you have to keep them happy. He who pays the piper.....
  19. bigcol

bigcol Member

I propose the responsibility is also on the people actually sending the news in - are they aware that if they mention certain people (or mention themselves) too often the reader become fatigued and might a) stop paying attention when their name is mentioned and b) even start to dislike the person mentioned?

4BR is a fantastic website but any feedback positive or negative is only designed to see that continuing.
  20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

a fair point but I echo what was said about probably a quiet news week ! I remember being on the end of some mild ribbing via both tmp and 4br comments page last year after they printed a copy of the report I wrote about Becontree's xmas activities ( for the website , not sure how 4br got hold of it!) , something along the lines of "Shock Horror.... Brass Band does Xmas engagements at Xmas time whilst playing Xmas music"!!!