Labour Leadership Contest

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ari01, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ari01

ari01 Active Member

So what does everyone think about the political fall out of Brexit? Quite astonishing 2 weeks IMHO:

• The Labour party cannibalising itself
    • Labour leadership contest
    • The Tories Uniting behing May
    • Farage quitting and the (no doubt) end of UKIP
    After yesterday's decision by the Labour NEC the leadership contest of Labour is surely a foregone conclusion? Or can everyone really see this woman in charge of and uniting Labour:

One simple question from Andrew Neil leaves Labour coup leader Angela Eagle floundering (VIDEO) | The Canary

What does everyone think?
  2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I think you should stop trying to stir up the 5hite !

Vegasbound likes this.
  3. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Before the GE in 2015 I predicted on these pages that the Lib Dems would be destroyed, then I successfully predicted Brexit. I confidently predict that Labour will now totally and utterly destroy themselves. In the next General Election the Tories will hold at least 90% of seats in England.
    stevetrom and ari01 like this.
  4. I'm wondering if after the leadership contest there will be any shadow ministers I've even heard of.
    It's definitely not looking good for labour. I feel at best it's gonna take them a long time to come back from this.
    Ironic really as "Europe" was always supposed to be the issue which divided the Tory party.
    Pleasing at least that they seem to understand the need for swift stabilising action, and are setting about the task in hand in a professional manner.
    Some of Mrs. May's new cabinet appointees I've not previously heard of (not a fervent follower of politics in truth) but I must say I think most of her key appointments have been very sensible and very shrewd.
    These include Hammond, BoJo, Davis, Javid, Patel... So far, I feel things are beginning to look good as we enter a fascinating and unprecedented period in our history.
    2nd tenor likes this.
  5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I think that having Corbin as leader of Her Majesty's Opposition is a disaster for democracy. My preference is for a right of centre party governing the country but an able opposition that challenges questionable policies and announcements is an important part of good decision making within Parliament.

As a lot can change between now and then its unlikely, IMHO, that Labour will loose half or more of its seats at the next election. There are many areas of the country that are solid Labour seats, places where the local people would vote Labour regardless of who stood for election. There are also some very able Labour MP's who work hard on constituency matters and they will be supported by their constituency for that reason if no other.

I predict that Corbin will go before the next election but think it will take at least a second attempt to oust him from Leadership of the Labour party. IMHO Angela Eagle isn't credible enough and is just a worm-up act before the serious challenges start.
    SirBobbysOutsideNetty likes this.
  6. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

OK Mystic Mad....

Not a difficult prediction, with the Lib Dems taking the blame for the coalition policies. You haven't seemingly predicted the phoenix rise which is starting to happen across the country......

You got a 50/50 choice correct. Well done! What next "I predicted the toss for the next test match"?

Labour seem to be keen on imploding at the moment, however there are enough Labour heartlands across the country to keep them going until they resolve one way or another. You may be a bit young to remember Labour in the 80s - Corbyn is essentially a modern day Michael Foot - but they are likely to reunite at some point. Any political party will have differences in its ranks, and its not long ago that the Tories threatened to implode

That to me is plain deluded however if you prove to be correct, I'll get you to predict the lottery numbers and will share 50/50 with you.
  7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Mate, there is no evidence of the Lib Dems having a Phoenix like rise from the ashes. None whatsoever! They are finished.
    As for Labour reuniting under Corbyn, if he is like Foot- and I do tend to agree that he is- then an SDP split, like that which took place in 83 under his leadership is more likely than a reunion. Now, it took Labour until 97 to get back in power, they got trounced, time and time again. So by my reckoning, we might see a Labour government in 2033.
    Not delusional mate- fact. The Lib Dems are all but wiped out, Labour will only get a couple hundred thousand votes from deadbeat fanatical students and the Tories will take back those who voted for UKip, now that Brexit is assured.
    So smarty pants, I am sticking with it, Tories to hold 90% of seats in England in the next election.
  8. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I cant disagree with you. My Dad (an ex miner) and my Grandad (a blacksmith on the railways) will be tossing in their graves now !
  9. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Politics could get interesting over the next decade or so but as 30-40% of the electorate support the Tories and most of the remaining 60-70% is to the left of them there is plenty of scope for a competent opposition to emerge.
    The only worry is that by the time it happens the Tories will have rigged the system to ensure they have a permanent majority in the Commons to go with the one in the Lords.
    Leveridge96 likes this.
  10. Euphonium Lite

Tell you what, I'll do a bet with you, for the next General Election, whenever that may be. You claim that the LibDems are finished and the Tories will win 90% of English seats. I'm claiming that the Tories will get no more than a 5% increase (they currently hold 60%) and that the Lib Dems will win at least 25 seats, which will treble their existing holding.
  11. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

The fact that you have such confidence in the Lib Dems only goes to demonstrate how incredible, in the literal sense the party is.
  12. Euphonium Lite

Absolutely total confidence.
  13. GordonH

GordonH Member

The problem all the parties have is that none of them have more than 30% core support. As a result they have to move onto each others ground (or appear to) in order to get into power. Once they are in power they then can't behave according to principals or if they do it causes strife and division.

Corbyn is very good, but people are electing a president or king figure so they need someone who is energetic, seems to agree with them, could potentially win in a war (hence May saying she would nuke 100,000 people). That is the background psychology to elections.

Anyone who works for a wage paid to them ever week or month (this is what is meant by "working class") is essentially enslaved by the system. The ruling class do not care what happens to you as long as your labour is being transmuted into profit (or as they would call it "economic growth"). I would recommend people to read the novel "The Iron Heel" by Jack London to get a feel for how things really work. If you are not "one of them" then they will exploit you to benefit themselves. There is a reason why children used to be down coal mines and there is a reason they aren't any more.

I am somewhere to the left of Lenin. I lived through the 80's when there was no effective representation in Westminster for ordinary people. I had to clean blood out of the back of a mini van after a policeman put a miners head through the window. People who did not live through those dark days do not really know where we may well be heading. I remember an old and very wise communist telling me once that Britain would need to go through a period under the jackboot before there would be any emancipation of the working class. People have become used to poor conditions and less freedom in the same way that a frog can be boiled to death by heating the pan of water gradually. It is going to take the ruling class to over do the pressure before people will realise they are on the boil.