L&SC Entries

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by stevetrom, Feb 16, 2015.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

according to the L&SC website:

Entries for 2015 are:
    Championship - 12
    1st Section - 15
    2nd Section - 15
    3rd Section - 16
    4th Section - 23

Where are all the bands?

From the 2014 tables, after promotions/relegations there should be:
    Championship - 13 (-1)
    1st Section - 17 (-2)
    2nd Section - 18 (-3)
    3rd Section - 17 (-1)
    4th Section - hard to tell as some bands don't contest every year

I know there are often a couple of non-entries but it looks like quite a few misiing this year?

I know about one 2nd Section band who are not going but what about the others?
  2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Easy ones first -

4th section - this is probably the biggest field for a while, and as you say because not every band enters every year its what it is

Championship - This is actually a full entry - the ranking tables include Alder Velley who are now in the WOE area

With regards to the others - 1 band in S3 is neither here or there I would suggest. Without working through line I dont know who they are but I'd say one band down isnt really indicative of anything

S1 and 2 are a little more interesting - esp S2. I know one band that didnt manage to get their form to the region in time and one in S1 is effectively now defunct (and are only included because they are in their 3rd non-competing year. Presume theyll be removed in the next rating tables). I'd need to have a look at who the others are though
  3. Euphonium Lite

Its also 81 bands in total - making it (I think) the biggest entry from any of the regions.....
  4. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Section 2 was reduced by 1 due to promotions / relegations

Looks like Soham and Chalgrove have not entered

Happy to be corrected
  5. Euphonium Lite

No - there are 3 non-entries. Battle Town are also missing according to the LSC website.....Chalgrove didnt enter last year either and according to BBR are now a "non-competing" band. Soham are the 3rd
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Chalgrove are still functioning (their conductor plays for us), but are low on player numbers and unlikely to be seen on a contest stage again soon.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Soham's entry form unfortunately did not arrive in time for them to take part this year.
  8. Euphonium Lite

Clacton and Norfolk Brass have not entered in 1st Section; Norfolk Brass are functioning more as an ensemble currently than a full band. Not sure on Clacton's situation but they also withdrew last year, which would indicate theyre also struggling for players
  9. Euphonium Lite

Clacton and Norfolk Brass have not entered in 1st Section; Norfolk Brass are functioning more as an ensemble currently than a full band. Not sure on Clacton's situation but they also withdrew last year, which would indicate theyre also struggling for players
  10. Euphonium Lite

Of course, there may be other reasons as well......anyone from Clacton able to shed some light?
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Re Clacton - yes , I fear that the band has ceased contesting at present due to a lack of players. A number of us have signed for other local bands (since Clacton withdrew last year and not beforehand) . The band still plan to undertake a number of concerts during the summer I believe and a number of us will support those efforts.

Main issue , as with many bands across all the areas , was finding sufficient numbers of players at Champ / 1st section level . It's a crying shame really as Clacton were (are) one of the friendliest and sociable bunch going , with a fine contesting history. The hardworking committee members did their best to keep it going (East Anglian / Essex locals will know that dear Ann Headworth has worked tirelessly for the band for many many years aided by Barry Aldous and others) but we just couldn't get the bums on seats.

I do know that last year the committee took the principled view not to buy in a bunch of deps just for the sake of maintaining appearances.

As i said , a real shame :(
  12. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

For those decrying the use of deps/ringers maybre the Clacton scenario should illustrate a point. Surely it's better to see a band competing rather than withdrawing? Sad news, and while I'm sure we all respect the decision "not to buy in a bunch of deps just for the sake of maintaining appearances" I hope this is just a temporary glitch.
  13. MoominDave

Good point HG. As a band fixer, in the same position, I wouldn't have hesitated to do what it took to keep some momentum going, although the principled stand is worth applauding. A couple of years of difficulty are usually resolvable into a more sustainable band position, in my observation, if things are kept on the track. But the minute a band pulls into a siding for maintenance players start drifting away.

But who knows - maybe things had been difficult for a long time, in which case the questions become markedly more energy-sapping. Maybe the costs of fielding a full band suddenly became prohibitive. However it played out, best of luck to Clacton in getting themselves back on the rails, it's a great shame to see them struggling. If they were closer, I'd offer dep help, but Essex is quite some way away, even though it's in the same area.
  14. Euphonium Lite

Trouble is Moomin, that there have been several examples in the upper sections where bands have spent increasing amounts of money hiring in deps for contests - living above their means (in the hope they can recoup some or all via prize money). All this does is buy a little time and in the end the "regular" players wonder why they are not being paid - and in some cases then walk themselves, leaving the band with nothing. Clacton may not be contesting at the moment, but at least they still have a band
  15. MoominDave

I well know, having watched similar situations at close hand. It's a tricky old situation to get into, all right.
  16. Euphonium Lite

Agreed. And like you say its sad to see bands head into difficulties. Good luck to Clacton, I too live too far away to help even though I live in East Anglia - I hope that they make a comeback at some point in the future :)
  17. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

They obviously think not. After all, with a bunch of deps it wouldn't be a true representation of their band. Can't you see that ? I applaud their decision and hope that they are able to get the additional players that they require in the coming months.
    Bye bye for now,
    Mr Fixer.
  18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

This 'true representation' thing is very subjective though, and to be honest I think you are picking a definition which suits your own argument. I think I'm right in saying Desford band have for some time run as a collective of (top class) players that just convene shortly prior to major contests with minimal rehearsal. Presumably you would think this is unfair as they constitute a band of deps/ringers, and are unrepresentative of brass playing in their rehearsal location? I don't think they are unfair myself, but rather have responded in a pragmatic way to maintaining their status as a top band and continuing to perform at the highest level. I'm also assuming you are not bothered by Desford as they are not competing in your section, in your area - that's why I think your point is petty and in the main just sour grapes.
  19. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Interesting story this one, Its sad to see any band struggling.
    But something occurs to me, the way this reads is not that they couldn't get enough players, but that those available weren't to a 1st or Champ section standard.
    If this is the case, then by not competing there is an almost certain risk of relegation. If they had took on players of a lesser standard and given the contest a stab then yes, they might also have got a low placing and risked relegation, or they might have got one of those lucky days and sneaked in a favourable result, stranger things have happened.
    So it seems like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.
    Of course I may have misread this and it may be that they could not enough players of any standard in which case- different story.
  20. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I doubt it's the standard of players. Experienced 2nd section players would do fine in L&SC Champ Section, so it must be to do with numbers. In either case it's still sad news and hopefully Clacton will be back.