Kunhl and Hoyer (Bones)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gcbtrom, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

In all of 13 years I haven't seen or heard of anyone (except brett baker) having played on one of these.

Is there an issue with them?

Just curious as I was browsing a website for work and noticed a nice Kunhl and Hoyer Bb/F bone for around £1500 - and got me thinking that I've rarely seen one in the UK - everyone either has Conns, Edwards/Getzens etc, Bachs, Courtois and Kings.

2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Longridge Band have 2 Tenors.

3. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I know quite a few guys in the North who use them. I used one for a while but wasnt keen.

4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with them, perhaps just not as aggressively marketed as the American brands.

5. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I play a k&h bass trombone, its a good machine but know one has ever heard of them, never mind being able to buy one...

We used to have 2 tenors but to be honest they wern't very good so were used as part of a trade in for a cornet or something (i think).

The tenors we had were i think more prototype and more like 'student' models so probably weren't quite the right spec that our players ever wanted when they have their own Conn88h or Bach42b.

I played a newer k&h tenor a few years back and that was really nice instrument, think it was one of Brett's old ones so maybe it had been built and designed abit different to the 'off the shelf' models?

My bass is quality on sound but due to its age is starting to fall apart abit now!

6. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I used to play a K&H Tenor years ago. I don't remember much about its playing/tonal quality, but it did come in a rather natty imitation snake skin case!

7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Just bought a K&H Bolero Bb/F fantastic horn, very responsive,used it for the Firebird and got comments from the bass trombone player on how big the sound was.

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

The Bass seems to be a lot more popular than the tenor version. I used one a few years back which I borrowed from Frank Mathison and really enjoyed playing it. However, perhaps the fact that a tenor player (me) found it quite easy to play meant that it might be a bit light for a proper bass trombonist to really make a big noise on!

9. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

I play a Vincent Bach bass trombone that costs £3,500 as is considered one of the more standard bass trombones...the KH Orchestra Bass which has won awards in Germany and is without a doubt the best made bass trombone out there at the moment...costs the same!

True it's not been aggressively marketed in the UK but they're impressive instruments - I'm hopefully getting an orchestra bass from them soon. If you're looking just a few years in to the future maybe something cheaper, but if you're like me and you're looking at the next 10 or 20 years you need something well made like a KH.

Sales pitch over! :biggrin: