Kiwis up for Adopting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nethers, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Hey everyone.

Carolyn and I have been living here in Auckland for a little while now and we're enjoying the good weather and cheap food. Driving is another issue, but yeah, things are largely cool.

We've been on the receiving end of a lot of help and support from various Kiwis here who have supported in our move out, visas, job hunting and of course banding!

So in an effort to pay it on... if any bandsmen think a sea change might be a good idea, please get in touch. NZ has a small but lively banding scene that could benefit from a few more enthusiastic players. I conduct a D grade band who will be happy to see anyone who can hold an instrument upright within a few tries, and we play for a young A grade band (one of NZ's finest) that would love a couple of extra recruits.

I'll be happy to advise and assist in getting you out here, pointing you towards work and a suitable band!

In Auckland winter lows are normally around 12 degrees, and summer is a pretty steady humid high 20s. No scary animals, and only a few scary people.

Get in touch with us if you fancy a change!
  2. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Have applied for a 'working holiday' in NZ and Oz so will be in each place for around 18 months to 2 years (4 years away from home....could be a disaster!), so may well get in touch while I'm out there!
  3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Oh, how I wish. We've just come back from a holiday in NZ and had a fantastic time. The driving was a high point - even in Auckland at rush hour it was less busy than my home town, so I'm not quite sure what you mean. Anyway, to anyone considering going out there - DO IT. I would, if I were younger. No traffic jams, no litter, no pollution - it's probably the last place on Earth that mankind hasn't crowded into and spoilt.

4. nethers

nethers Active Member

I did a w/h in Aussie (the best thing I ever did!), I'm pretty well connected there if you want to find somewhere to play. Let me know when you're arriving in Auckland (there's not a lot of other places worth living here) and we'll see you get set up properly.
  5. Happyon2nd

Happyon2nd New Member

Hi Marc - coming to NZ for most of this November - camper vanning it around the sights. Will be landing in Aukland and returning from Christchurch - any bands worth stopping at on the trip round ?
    Saw 'kiwis' and thought I'd check your post. Didn't know my backrow bandmate Jess had already given you a shout ! Could see 2 of us this year ! All the best from not so sunny Cornwall
  6. nethers

nethers Active Member

A few bandrooms worth a visit for a Steinlager or a Tui, it depends how much of a busman's holiday you want! We'll be more than happy to see you.
  7. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Therein lies the one big thing that put me off NZ a few years back when considering the possibility - no real ale !!!:)
    Seriously , a good friend of mine has just returned from four years down there , had a fantastic time.
  8. nethers

nethers Active Member

Just checking the national news - today's big shocking headline:

'Man arrested after bag-snatching'

At least it's nothing to do with sheep!
  9. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Been out twice in the past but had problems obtaining work permits both times, would love to be there now.
    Played with Hawera Band on the North Island and Marlborough District Band on the South Island.

Was offered job as MD at Hawera a couple of years ago but still had problems with work permit even though I have a degree in Music and I was offered a job with the sponsor of the band plus conducting, teaching etc. My face must not fit for some reason!

Brilliant place though, would go back tomorrow
  10. nethers

nethers Active Member

It can be a bit tricky working around things - there are LOTS of hoops to jump through, although I must say the whole thing is a snooze on the couch compared to Aussie immigration. Unless you're an English professor who doubles as a brain surgeon and is a superhero by night, don't even bother!

I was told that it's a good idea to get an immigration consultant on your side if you're finding it hard to tick all of the boxes, there are loads of 'lesser-known' visas that most people can get. Unless you have a criminal conviction or a hideous disease, there is normally a way in.

Either way if you're still looking for a move, let me know your exact circumstances and we may be able to point you the right way...