Kirkintilloch on Listen to the Band, 10/2/06

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PeterBale, Feb 13, 2006.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else hear the broadcast?

I listened to it via the computer on Sunday morning, and the timing seemed more than somewhat adrift, with quite a large chunk of the previous programme, and their final item being cut short midstream! Was the programme running late, or had someone messed up when sorting out the portion for broadcast?

It was a shame, as I was enjoying the playing - and the choice of programme - although I don't get brilliant sound quality on our tiny speakers.
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I heard it "live" on Friday night, Peter, and the previous programme over-run by about 5 minutes (by the clock in the car).

Incidentally, has anyone else had problems with the sound quality of the "listen again" service? I understand it won't be as good as straight off the radio, but I used it the other week and the sound quality was absolutely pants.

EDIT: Sorry Peter, didn't see your last comment. The speakers on my PC are OK but the programme the other week had a very "darlek-y" sound. Shame as it spoilt the soloists' playing who were on than week.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I listen to most of the LTTB broadcasts via the web and agree that the sound is very inconsistent -- less so if you listen to Radio 3 which is generally better. The ISB broadcast just before Christmas had awful sound as though recorded in a hut, but Stephen Cobb assured me it was done in the BBC studios in London.

I do find many LTTB programmes to be oddly compiled with the occasional hymn tune thrown in, as in last Fridays broadcast.

I play the sound through a decent amplifier and speakers or headphones.
  4. Parp

Parp Member

I think it's all automatic so that they sample the portion from 9:30 until 10 and then stick it on the site. If the programme runs over then you lose the end segment. Rather annoying!

And yes, the sound quality is awful - I'm sure I read that it was a legal requirement for audio on demand with the BBC that the sound quality is rubbish. Their FAQ suggests that it's to save bandwidth though: