King's New Clothes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

4BR have just reviewed a cornet, which is interesting. But part of the review says:

Is it better than the Besson Prestige or the Yamaha Neo, Willson or Geneva then?
    For what it offers the average brass band cornet player – certainly not.
    But what it offers the well above average brass band cornet player – yes it does – and by a considerable margin it has to be said too.

So if you play one and don't think it's better than what you're playing already you're just an average brass band cornet player. Nice.
  2. ben16

ben16 Member

4BR reviews are not worth the paper they are written on.
    I think you'd have to be a bit special to consider spending that much on a cornet that isn't perfect in every way, but what do I know, I'm an extremely average brass band cornet player.
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

thats so funny, if you thik the cornet is c rap, then 4BR is saying "excuse me, but its you thats c rap" !!! I wonder how much money 4BR ger aid for these reviews ?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if they do baritones too ?
  4. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

A decent average player should be able to make any instrument of reasonable quality sound decent; what you spend on the plumbing and associated kit doesn't count for very much on its own.

This reminds me of two people:

First (about 2000) the guy on the Rath trade stand who said the custom specs and technical details ultimately don't matter, so long as the instrument works for YOU (never rely on the hard sell! Not sure if he still works for them though...)

Second (about 2006) the player I was sat next to on a gig, and found we both played the same standard instrument (only differing in age and bell brass) and less-than-usual mouthpiece. He complained that this combination produced a terrible rasping sound in the lower register; I smiled and said I hadn't found that (least smartarse response under the circumstances).
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Have you got a dislexic keyboard Ha ! Ha !

~ Mr Wilx
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I pouldnt sossible pay !!