Kingdom Triumphant - which version?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lucretia, Nov 23, 2006.

1. lucretia

lucretia Member

Hi,

I've been asked by our conductor to purchase "Kingdom Triumphant" but I there are two versions in Just Music's catalogue:

JM37730 KINGDOM TRIUMPHANT, The - Parts & Score
    Category: Brass Band Catalogue - Hymn Tunes
    Composer / arranger: Eric Ball
    Available £39.95

JM41081 KINGDOM TRIUMPHANT, The - Parts & Score
    Category: Brass Band Catalogue - Light Concert Music
    Composer / arranger: Eric Ball
    Available £21.95

The conductor doesn't know which one it is, but does know that the version we want has a number of SA hymn tunes in the arrangement, possibly including "O Come, O Come, Emmanuelle".

Does anyone know which one I need?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kingdom Triumphant
    Just Music
    The - Parts
    Brass Band Catalogue - Hymn Tunes Composer
    Brass Band Catalogue - Light Concert
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

This is wierd. Eric Ball wrote only one piece called "The Kingdom Triumphant", which does include "O Come O Come Emmanuel" among other hymns, so why Just Music are selling the same piece of music at two different prices is strange.

You may as well go for the cheaper option.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You may find that it is for different instrumentation. Quite often the cheaper versions on Just Music are for quartets or something, and it isn't made clear on the website. Or it's an old price and they've accidentally added a new record rather than updating the old one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  5. lucretia

lucretia Member

:sup :clap: aah... that would be a sensible suggestion. I'll give them a call.

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I sincerely hope not! I can't begin to imagine The Kingdom Triumphant in any other instrumentation other than full brass band. Besides, any re-scoring of the original would be a breach of our copyright.

I suspect that the cheaper version may be a mere (authorised) copy of the original Festival Series publication whereas the more expensive one is our re-originated (larger print, easier to read) Judd Street Collection example.

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I didn't really expect it to be, but I have been caught out on Just Music before when I thought I was buying a full band version of something and got a quartet instead! :rolleyes:

8. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

I think it´s because Justmusic has two different publications of the SAME piece... W of B has over taken the sale of SA music and has made new front for the scores and different part setup in some pieces... Maybe the price difference is caused by this..

The 21£er is the old setup ect...

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

If the piece has been re-originated, could this account for the wrong notes in the YBS recording?

10. WorldofBrass.com

No. The piece was re-originated a long time after the YBS recording.
    Are you referring to some cornet chords that appear to have been altered?

11. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I often wondered about them! Perhaps just the conductor having a bit of a 'Laudate Dominum' moment. I seem to remember he got into trouble a few years back for putting a suspended cymbal roll over the pause between the second last and last chord. He had to publish an apology in the band press. Maybe WoB could make him do the same again???!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kingdom Triumphant
    Just Music
    The - Parts
    Brass Band Catalogue - Hymn Tunes Composer
    Brass Band Catalogue - Light Concert
  13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

They're the ones.

14. lucretia

lucretia Member

OK - It's all cleared. up. There was an error in their catalogue and they only sell the more expensive one.

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You do surprise me! :rolleyes: :tongue:

16. WorldofBrass.com

Why, was it us who asked for an apology with L.D? More likely to have been the composer I would think.

17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

That was the word on the street at the time ;)

The rumour / whisper was along the lines of "If I'd have wanted that, I would have written it"....don't know if it's true though.