King Of Elflands Daughter

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScreamingSop, Jun 21, 2004.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

So all you 1st Section national finalists what do you fink of the piece???
    we've played it through and love it, really good, and a great test!!!
    Good luck all you Baritone playiong Troll Messengers!!!! :shock: :shock:
  2. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Had a look at it on Wednesday with a portable TV (on silent, so we could watch the footie!). We like it...

Not sure yet about the dictat about placing of percussion from the organisers though... :?
  3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

What's it say?

4. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Ive Hurd it being played (well kinda)!!!! and it sounds hard?! Yet i do like it just wish i was playing the sop part!
  5. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

run the 1st page through, seems ok, but not got into it at all yet so will have to see
  6. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yeah, the sop parts a belter!!!
    Every entry a little solo! :p , tis a hard peice, very high for cornet and euph! and nasty baritone solo but shud all be good.
    Real blow at the end as well, nowhere to breathe!!!! ahhhh
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what it says, and I know that Rodney Newton is a percussionist himself, but surely it will depend largely on the strengths and/or limitations of each band's players on the various instruments required to settle the best layout etc :?:
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

"rub tam-tam with moistened finger" :!:

ran through it last nite.....tis interesting! shud b fun! got lots of tuned perc stuff to practise now! :D
  9. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Not got letter with me, but from memory (hmmm, dodgy) the organisers have already set the percussion layout. One of my percussionists has said that it will be impossible (no such thing!) to get from 1 piece of equipment to another in the space of a semiquaver...
  10. horn1

horn1 Member

I love it!! Lots of nice tunes and soloy bits. And I won't have to scream up in the gods either!! Bliss!! (Although I'm not looking forward to being a troll!!!!)
  11. dgibbons

dgibbons New Member

there's a nasty baritone solo? oh great........jerram.....
  12. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

nah you'll play it Beautifully! :twisted: :p 8)
  13. Dolly

Dolly Member

Why ever not Nicola, you'd look lovely as a troll :p
  14. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

I like it a lot. Not a great piece to listen to but great to play. Bit annoyed about the mute requirements though. We'll have to go buy a load of fibers for it :x
  15. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

If the layout was set by the composer (like Atlantic a couple of years ago at the masters) then fair enough.

If the layout is set by the organisers of the contest, then I would start complaining. Percussionists have a hard enough time as it is on the contest stage, without this sort of thing causing them further problems.

You'd be surprised just how bonkers some percussion parts are...

16. horn1

horn1 Member

Why thank you Holly!! (i think!!!)
  17. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

hey you, you bettter be practasing being a troll
    everyminuite of each day, id started making maself a costume for haroogate
    will be fab :p
    (btw how do ya get that stuff under your picture thang!??)
  18. kevs67

kevs67 New Member

So the test piece is ok. who is in the 1st section finals. Does anyone know the full line up? Harrogate's a good venue. Was there a couple of years ago. It seems a good hall to play in?
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The BBW gives the qualifiers in all sections - go to News Update and click on the 2004 Championships link :wink:
  20. Drew

Drew New Member

Can someone please tell what has Rodney Newton got about the note 'pedal Eb' (all BBb players will know what I mean)!!!

If anyone is interested you can get the book from Borders for £6.99 (if they haven't got it in, it only takes them 2 days to get hold of it).