King Duo Gravis Silversonic Question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by goldendomer04, Jun 17, 2018.

1. goldendomer04

goldendomer04 New Member

I have read lots of discussions on here, but this is my first post.

I am a recreational bass trombone player that plays in a couple community bands, but not at the pro level.

I used to play on a Yamaha 622 for a number of years, but sold it when I started playing less and less once children became a part of the equation... I took about a 7 year break from playing bass trombone, but picked it up once I snagged a silver plated King Duo Gravis. I have been loving the horn and have an opportunity to snag a really nice Silversonic Duo Gravis for $3,000.

My question for you all is this: Would you rather have a Silversonic Duo Gravis, or a more modern (2nd hand) bass trombone at the 3k price point?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. stevo700

stevo700 New Member

I played a standard DG for a number of years, and loved every minute EXCEPT:
    Advancing years and arthritis made the side-by-side triggers painful to operate. I toyed with the idea of having the set up changed, but could never bring myself to do it.
    If I was to find a Silversonic in good condition for that price, I'd buy it like a shot, use it on special occasions, and to hell with the pain!

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The Duo Gravis is a great design. There's nothing on the market today that caters to quite the same sound niche, and lots of people like it - apart from anything else, it'll be a sound financial investment as a general principle as the numbers of them in existence are only going down as the years go by.

That said, $3000 is quite a lot for one, although the SilverSonics do attract a price premium. I would have to really want one quite a lot in order to pay that much for it. My preference would be to find one of either type in less good nick for less money... But my priorities are not your priorities.

I would not in general at that price point want to contrast SS DG with modern options. I'd be looking for alternative vintage options - old Holtons are favourite for me...

4. KenHughes73

KenHughes73 New Member

5. KenHughes73

KenHughes73 New Member

Hi there. Sorry i did not see your threat sooner. I do like the SSDG. All the more because the band i play with require silver coloured instruments. But mostly becuase i have only ever played a loaned SSDG which the owner did not want to sell. Anyways if you do decide that the King is not for you i would be grateful for a mail about contacting the seller as i may be initerested in your stead.

Thanks, Ken

6. goldendomer04

goldendomer04 New Member

I sent you a PM Ken.

I recently picked by a vintage Conn 62H custom job that I have fallen in love with, and unfortunately cannot afford to keep two high dollar bass trombones. This beauty of a SS Duo Gravis will be up for sale soon.

Thanks for the reply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice