King Duo Gravis Bass Trombone for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by AndyMaz, Mar 26, 2012.

1. AndyMaz

AndyMaz New Member

I have a King Duo Gravis Bass Trombone for sale. I have searched this forum and the King is mentioned several times as the best value, quality bass trombone available but no-one has posted what price would make it good value!

Slide is in good condition and overall condition of lacquer is sound with just usual wear that would be expected on an instrument of this age (I assume it is probably from the early 1970's). The valves require a service as they are functional but sluggish.

If you are interested in purchasing, or can advise me on a fair price to advertise this at, then please get in touch. The instrument is in Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK and I am happy to send photos or answer any questions please email me at andy_maslen AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Many thanks
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

There is a lengthy discussion here on the merits of the Duo Gravis. There are a couple of posts quoting around about $2000 for one in good nick, which is about £1250 at today's exchange rate. It's also worth bearing in mind that they are more sought after in the States than over here.

I bought one about 3 1/2 years ago, it was manufactured in 1985, it is in great nick and I paid £400 for it. I think it's a fantastic instrument as it makes the job I need to do easier than most of the modern bass bones I've played.
  3. AndyMaz

AndyMaz New Member

Thanks for the info...very interesting thread. Now I know what I am looking for here is a little more info

9 1/2 inch yellow bell engraved "King Duo Gravis"
    D extension
    Side by side dependent valves
    Finger ring on top of the slide
    Serial number - 579473 (there is also a number on both parts of the slide 4340)

I popped some oil in the valves the other day and they now work nicely.

Seems like this is an instrument that people love (and regret selling...if they ever do) according to the thread.
    If anyone is interested in this instrument please get in touch BUT I would not be looking to sell at £400 (Bayerd, were you wearing a mask and swag bag when you struck that deal!!), at that price I will hang onto it and just put it back into storage! Seriously though if anyone wants to make a strong offer (more like the $2000/ £1250) then get in touch. I will ship to the States if there are any USA buyers on here.

Thanks Andy
  4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Many do regret selling them, make sure you're not one of them ;)

I was just in the right place at the right time, I bought it on Ebay. I think they do have a fairly low value in the UK, from what I can see most players these days want either an Eddy or Rath, plus an independent set up. There is a selling area on The Trombone Forum where you'd stand a better chance of selling into the States if that's what you'd prefer.