Killamarsh Entertainments Festival June 2005

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tubafran, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

After the success of our first Entertainment Contest held in October 2002 we have been asked by our local council to consider organising a similar event next year. This contest will form part of a two week Cultural Festival and we now have a final agreed date of Sunday 26 June 2005.

The last contest was splt between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th. A 20 minutes programme to be given by each band with no restriction on format. We are particularly keen to hear from bands that will incorporate other musical instrument, singers, dances what-ever to the performance.

At the last contest we had bands with singers, banjo players and organ accompaniment. We believe from the feed-back at the last contest that the organisation and format was well received by the bands taking part and we are sure that if you speak to any of the bands who took part they will vouch for this. They were Stannington, Kirbymoorside, Strata, Knottingley Silver, Gawthorpe (both bands) and Dronfield.

We are making a formal proposal to the Cultural Festival on the 21/09/2004 and it would be nice to have a list of bands that would be interested in taking part. Please send me a pm in the first instance if you are interested and I will get details sent out in due course.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Couldn't work out how to send a pm in the new format, but we are definitely interested (I checked with committee).
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

....and you're teaching our future generation???
    Oh dear.....;)

BTW click on TF's name below his picture and the options pop down.
  4. zuzanna

zuzanna New Member

Hopefully we will be going. The MD says he is interested ( didn't he win last time with another band). I will be there anyway, as I can walk home and I know that tubafran bloke!
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Further to my original post for bands interested in taking part in our Entertainments Contest next year what do people think about giving handicaps to bands of a higher section competing against bands from lower sections in entertainment contests.

We will be having 1st & 2nd in one section and 3rd & 4th in the other, keeping similar bands together. Assuming that we let all bands compete equally in their section for the entertainment points would it be fair to give say the 4th section bands a 5 point bonus to bring them in line with the 3rd section bands technically?
  6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Francis! That'd be like some kind of contest revolution! You'd be single handedly responsible for altering the face of banding forever. In years to come people'll hark back to Francis Hargate and the "famous" Killamarsh Contest of 2005!

Interesting concept though...
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

May not be an issue if Section A is filled with all the 1st Section Bands that want to play. No benefit to BBSBB if you play then. I really wouldn't want to get this next one wrong in case you have to kick off to 4barsrest again. Or was it the adjudicator? :)

Let me think what was it.... argh yes "perhaps the greatest banding traversty I've personally been involved".:rolleyes:
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

While I'm waiting for some views on this one I would also be pleased to hear from any banders on what should or should not be done at an entertainments contest.

In summary we will have two sections (1st & 2nd) (3rd & 4th), bands to give a 20 minute entertainments programme, maximum 40 on stage and no registration requirements (reasonable allowance on borrowed players please - i.e. no ringers), all bands to receive a fee against attendance, two separate draws for each section on day (gets more people into hall), free entrance to hall for all performers. That's about it and limited paperwork.

Come on guys & gals you have a direct route to the organisers of this contest - let us know what you would like before we do it then you can't kick off afterwards if its not what you wanted.
  9. timbloke

timbloke Member

Why not have one draw, all bands play in any order throughout the day, mixing up the sections. The adjudicator will then mark as per usual and give a points score, after which each section result is calculated, that way you are more likely to get a day crowd.
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks Tim that's how we did the draw last year to get everybody there at the beginning. We are aiming for 10 bands this year (5 in each section) but thought it would be a bit difficult to deal with 10 bands all turning up at the same time. If we have a split section we only have 5 bands to deal with to allocate the warm up room, percussion storage etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, any more would be appreciated... anyone... there most be some great ideas out there amongst the tMPers for an own choice entertainment contest.
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like Tim's idea alot. If it is a problem having all ten bands show up at once could you do the draw the day or week before (I mean it's an entertainment contest, so the judges won't be shielded from the bands anyways right?)
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Correct is open adjudication so could have pre-draw. The intention of the draw on the day is to maximize the attendance at the contest from the beginning. Food, trade stands and booze for those not wanting beta blockers.

We coped with 7 bands turning up at the same time for the last event but feel that 10 would be pushing our resource and facilities. The venue is a sports centre so not purpose built for the event, think we used changing rooms to hold bands prior to entering main hall to perform last time and only had one warm up room.
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We have now been given a firm date for this contest which is Sunday 26 June 2005. Formal invitations will be going out in the next few weeks. Apologies to any bands that had pencilled in the earlier date.

The day is the final of a 2 week cultural festival being held in the village and as well as the contest on the Sunday the centre of the village is to be closed to traffic and various stalls and street entertainment will be taking place at the same time.