Kill it, Cook it, Eat it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bryan_sop, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Following on from comments in SQ's Battery vs Free range chicken thread about this program. I just thought I'd see who's been watching and what are people's opinions....

The main thing with this program I think is highlighting the plight of young animals. So far I've seen Piglets, Kid Goats and Calves slaughtered, cooked and eaten. (don't watch it if you don't like blood) I'm not at all squeamish when it comes to killing things or seeing them being killed, so long as it's quick and humane. I've done it myself and I'm happy that the way I've done it, has been instant.

I was interested to see the way the audience reacted in all of the 3 episodes I've seen. The ladies were obviously the more squeamish and were the ones that left. I think what bothered a lot of people was the fact that thay still twitched and moved after being stunned and being cut. What particularly got me was the Vegetarians/Vegans who basically said tonight that it didn't make a difference whether a calf was given (albeit short) a comfortable life and slaughtered for meat, or just shot in the head because they were surplus to requirements. I was quite appalled about the standards in parts of Europe compared to here for these young animals too!

One thing tonight's episode enlightened me to, was the fact that Bull calves were a bi-product of dairy farming. Bull calves are of no use to a dairy farmer but if they are farmed for Veal, they actually make a better profit for the farmer than milk! Those farmers that don't farm the calves for veal, just have them shot, or shipped off to Europe in far than acceptable conditions!

I like meat, so I eat it, it's available to me and wouldn't want to live without's nice! I have to say, I've never eaten piglet or Kid goat (as far as I'm aware) but I've had Wienerschnitzel in Austria, but didn't realise at the time, although I still would have eaten it if I had realised.
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

As a keen angler and sometime hunter I have always lived by the maxim that if you ain't gonna eat it then don't kill it. I remember one occassion when I was out salmon fishing. I had already banked a good fish and was lucky enough to hook into another. She was well over twenty pounds but I thought to myself I've already got one so this one goes back. I nearly got into a fight with some ned boy who basically said if I didn't kill the fish then he would. Well suffice to say that both the salmon and ned boy went back into the river that day.

I don't understand guys who go fishing, or especially shooting, and think they're just out there to kil as many as they can. I've seen some guys coming back from a pheasant shoot with twenty or so birds. I mean really, are they going to eat them all?
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Would they not then sell them to the local butcher though John...?
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Some of them might, or to local hotels. However, I've been told by some chefs in local hotels that they are no longer allowed to buy game from the general public due to public health legislation. My brother and I used to sell some of our salmon if we had a good day, now we just release any we don't need back to the river.
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm generally OK with this - as long as its someone else doing the slaughtering and I'm comfortable that the animal has lived in good conditions before being slaughtered. I reckon I'm with 99% of the meat-eating popultion there.

I do draw the line with veal though. This may be a throwback to the veal lorry fuss from about 6/7 years ago, as I know very little about what veal actually is apart from very young beef. I was recently in New York, and every Italian resturant and several of the better "non-specific" resturants had 5 or 6 different veal dishes on the menu - and I just couldn't bring myself to consider those choices.

Interstingly the best resturant we found while out there was a place on 48th Street between 5th and Madison who were Kosher. Again I'll plead ignorance to what this actually means, but the steak there was fantastic!
  6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I agree...if you kill should cook it and eat it.

I think my freshest meal home...nowt in't fridge.....stand at the corner of the wood.....shoot three pigeons....half an hour later....lovely..pigeon stroganoff (how much would that be in a posh restaurant?)

If I'm lucky and shoot a good few when out decoying I usually de-breast them, freeze them and turn them into some real tasty pate.

On our little shoot we give pheasants to landowners as a thankyou - the guns and beaters take some....any left and our shoot captain dresses them and takes them round to a few local senior citizens.

Long live the country way of life.

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well as a Butcher i found it a very good set of programes that were shown.
    Ive seen animals been killed it does not bother me at all.
    I can understand why some of the people got upset when they saw it happen,but these things have to take place.
    The job and the knife skill of the slaughterman takes a lot of time to learn and cant be picked up in 5 mins,its a very skilled job to be in control of the knife when taking out the insides of a animal been careful not to cut the gall bladder when removing it from the liver or a dye comes out of it onto the meat which cant be got off.
    Its good to see meat that as been well prepared at the slaughterhouse and dressed out it makes our job a lot easier than having to trim off the odd bits and pieces of liver that may be left in etc.
    I hope its made a lot of people see what is involved in the job of having there joint of beef on there plate on a sunday dinner time.;
    from then time its killed to the time its eaten
  8. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I like meat. I like a Sunday roast and a mixed grill. But I'm not sure I need to see it on telly. I appreciate that the welfare of animals is incredibly important, but I'm not sure that the TV program wasn't just a little too sensationalist rather than genuinly educational about the process.

Still like a good sausage though Perkster - you should start a thread...............................
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Shipo me old mate i already have done :
    if you could make a sausage
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I love the sound irony makes when it goes whooshing straight over someone's head! :tongue:

I really enjoyed this programme - if you eat it you should know where it comes from, particularly when most of the meat we buy comes from supermarkets in sanitised packages that make the joint look nothing like it's origin.

Besides, anything with Julia Bradbury in is worth watching! ;) :tongue:
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

It was interesting to see all the sickly squeamish faces as the poor little fluffy animal is butchered mercilessly by the slaughterman put me in mind of the expressions on the faces of the few who turn up to listen to KSB rehearsals!

Off topic? surely not!!!
  12. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I had eight years maintaining one of the largest pig meat production factories in Europe (at our busiest we were killing over 8,500 pigs per day). I agree it can be a little daunting for the squeamish (I used to take some of the student tours), but, to satisfy demand, it's gotta be done.

Animal welfare is a top priority in these places, the largest, employing two (or more) full time vets to ensure that there is no unnecessary suffering; the handlers in the lairage were trained to keep the animals as calm as possible.

We used to render the animals unconscious with CO2 before slaughter (which is over in seconds - the tool used to kill the pig also removes >90% of the blood within 5 secs.)

Vegan friendly it ain't, but as a regular meat eater I have no problems of conscience at all with these methods.

(I still wouldn't eat those little sausages they put in tins of beans tho'....I know what's in 'em.)
  13. lilz

lilz Member

ha this title just well made me laugh
    nothing to do with the show btw...just a story :D
    because (you might wanna stop reading now) i was on a night out..on the way home went in BENNYS chicken in leicester..sat eatin sum chips and 3 drunken old women came in ... abserlutely hilarious the things they were saying i couldnt stop laughing...then my friend wanted some chicken and i was like dont cos its halal from here ( im not racist...just wouldnt want to eat it myself) and then the drunken women would not stop going on about this tv programme and couldnt think of the name ...took us about an hour to work out it was called...kill it cook it eat it

told you you should have stopped reading lol