Kidnap threat on our own doorstep now!!! will it ever end?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

From the BBC www site...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6318735.stm

Forensic officers have spent the night searching 12 Birmingham properties in connection with an alleged plot to kidnap and kill a Muslim soldier.

And I heard a report just now on the radio about it too. Will this ever end?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC
    Birmingham
    Muslim
    connection
    url
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nope John, I don't think it will. Haven't read your link but I gather they planned to behead him and distribute the tape of it didn't they?

Sick, just sick. The fanatics will never let this rest now, religious belief is far too easy an excuse for mindless murder for them to be stopped, because the "religious battle" tag will always rope in more fanatical idiots willing to plunge to even deeper depths of sickening depravity.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  4. TheMusicMan

I also think the political do-gooders make things worse. I listened to someone who, though very much against this, described himself as an ex soldier, and when asked his nationality he responded by stating he was British Muslim.

Why not just British I ask...? why British Muslim...? Is he British - yes, then that's all that's needed when asked your nationality yeah? Why is it that he was compelled to mention his faith.

Now, what can't I see a tick box on any forms I ever fill in labelled British Christian?

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Or British non-religious.

Agree with your point entirely, nationality and religion are separate things.

6. TheMusicMan

Yes, sorry - that was selfish of me Daniel, you are absolutely right. I was responding though from my perspective.

I just don't see the necessity to bring faith into the subject matter during that interview. Nothing wrong with having deep rooted pride in ones faith, for any denomination (or not) as that is commendable indeed, but it seems to me that people just want to either cause trouble, incite a reaction or aggression, or just push things into ones face.

Besides, if I was asked my Nationality I would say Welsh :) It just wouldn't even cross my mind to say Welsh Christian...!!!

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

But for many people they aren't.

8. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Nationality and religion ARE seperate things...

If you wanted to combine them you would ask for their race, not nationality.

I can see that some people might feel pride in their religion and wish to state it, but sometimes it does seem like its used too often.

9. TheMusicMan

Sorry, as Tom mentions too, they most certainly are separate. There is absolutely no need to cloud the two as one.

10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Hadn't taken offence. Was just pointing out that it starts to get silly if people start adding things to there nationality. Just British is nationality (or English, Scottish, Welsh)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Nope - in terms of nationality, "English", "Scottish", "Welsh" and "Northern Irish" are colloquial.

Go through all the home office nationailty immigration pages and you will find a single reference to English etc nationailty.

"British" is the only term nationality wise.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC
    Birmingham
    Muslim
    connection
    url
  13. TheMusicMan

Errrm... what is your point there Will? I am confused...!!

14. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

I'm sorry that all you people out there with different nationality's can't get on for whatever reason! :(

I'm fine, i've joined a new race, and we call ourself's EARTHLINGS! :rolleyes:

15. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

My major concern is that in so many other countries esp. Mid. East, religion seems to be inextricably linked to politics.
    It was once so in this country, I know....but look how many problems it caused!

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Daniel stated the above, John, implying that English is a nationality. It isn't.

17. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

Interesting to see on the local news last night that one of the people being detained, currently running an extremist book shop, was held at Guantanamo (sp?) Bay for 3 years.

18. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I think we have gone too far the other way in this country. For example, Tony Blair saying he doesn't want to bring his (supposed) faith into his politics because what he believes isn't important. Surely what an individual politician believes in is exactly why people do or don't vote for them?!

As to the recent arrests in Birmingham, it is saddening that this sort of thing happens but it appears to be a reality of life at the moment. I used to live near to some of the areas they are talking about and it should be remembered that the majority of people, whatever their ethnic and religious backgrounds, are normal peace-lovers just wanting to get on with their everyday lives. Sadly, every group of people will always produce extremists.

19. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Couldn't we put all these so called extremists into the Big Brother House and watch them fight it out amongst themselves and call it Big Brother...hood:biggrin: and at the end of each week they could evict each other with the use of any supplied means

20. wantapie

wantapie New Member

I was under the impression this was brass band site?

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

Errm - yes - with a Random & Off-Topic category - which you've appeared to find.

:rolleyes:

22. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If Ruth Kelly had her way it would be again.

I'm a bit stumped as to why there is so much fuss about this. As I understand the limited details available, this was not a general threat to the public at large, but a specific threat against two soldiers, principally because they are muslims and have served in Iraq. A despicable threat rooted in an evil that has nothing to do with Islam. Serious, yes, but not really a threat to all of us. Certainly less of a threat than Republican terrorism posed in the 70s and 80s when the IRA and INLA succeeded in murdering many hundreds of UK citizens, including blowing up the entire cabinet.

Every government needs an enemy; for centuries it was the French and the Spanish, then we made up with them so we went after the Germans. Then for a while the USSR was the embodiment of all that was evil in the world; when that went the shape of a pear the western governments needed a nice convenient hate figure. Pow! - along comes Saddam Hussein, whom we only decided was evil quite late really, having supplied the murderous old goat with arms and poison gas for, ooh, ages really. But despite the dodgy dossier, Saddam's pitiful excuse for an army were never going to present much of a threat to anyone other than Kuwait, so to back him up, we present Al Q'aeda and their beardy figurehead (also inconveniently bankrolled in the past by the CIA). Now we have a nice long term, nebulous, indefinable threat which can be used to justify scrapping 800 years of civil liberty, putting every detail of our lives on a database and make us all carry pointless, expensive bits of plastic. Oh and make us pay more tax for these security "privileges". But we'll go along with it, because the same government that wants to do all these things is also solemnly telling us at every opportunity of the gravity of the terrorist threat, and issuing updates on the "terror alert status", keeping us all nice and worried and cowed.

Sorry, that morphed into a bit of a rant. [deep breaths]

On the nationality topic, for all the government's bluster about encouraging pride in "Britishness" they have no intention of following it through, because deep down, we are mostly still Welsh, Irish English or Scottish first - as evidenced by John's earlier comment. Anyone care to hazard a guess what anniversary Monday 16 January was? And for a bonus point, why it was roundly ignored by the powers that be?