Ken's 60th

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Shipston Webmaster, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Shipston Webmaster

Shipston Webmaster New Member

Ken Roe 60 years with Shipston Band

:clap:Shipston Band organised a surprise party on Friday 11th June for Ken Roe their longest serving member. Ken who joined the band in 1950 has completed 60 years unbroken service. Born in Sheffield, Ken moved to Shipston to find work and found employment on the land at Great Wolford. After playing with Moreton British Legion and Cherington Bands now both sadly defunct., Ken joined the newly reformed Shipston Band starting on flugel horn. He cycled the 5 miles each way with his flugel strapped to his back and rehearsed in the assembly rooms at the White Horse as the bands own band room was still in the possession of the military. The band sat on benches around the billiard table with their music propped upon the table itself.
    Ken soon found himself on solo cornet and was Principal Cornet when the band began entering competitions in 1957. 1961 was a very successful year and it saw the band win 21 trophies. It also saw Ken become engaged to Kath and they got married at Idlicote Church on Boxing Day with a reception at the band hall. With one short gap, Ken remained on principal cornet for the next 25 years with a number of periods of great success particularly in 1978 when the band acquired the services of Richard Nash, a conductor of renown who at the age of 77 made the 100 mile trip up to Shipston to rehearse the band. In a few years the band went from Section 4 to Section 2 qualifying for the National Finals en route. Ken stood aside in 1986 in favour of Kirsty Abbotts who led the band to two National Finals appearances before heading off to Yorkshire for bigger and better things with Sellers and Carlton Main Frickley Colliery. After another short spell on Principal after Kirsty left Ken has gradually moved down the line and now plays second cornet. He is extremely proud of his grandson Johnathan who has taken his place on solo cornet.
    In recognition of his efforts over 60 years the band presented Ken with an engraved clock, a card signed by all the band members and a photo montage of various aspects of his band life. A celebratory cake was also baked with a picture of a cornet on top.

Attached Files:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kirsty Abbotts
    serving member
    band
    Ken Roe
    Shipston Band
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What a great service record that is.
    Congrats to Ken and I wish him many more years happy banding.

- Mr Wilx

4. Shipston Webmaster

Shipston Webmaster New Member

I've known 'young Ken' personally since I came to the Midlands over 40 years ago and know him not only as a fine musician but one of this World's Gentleman - sorry I missed your 'do' Ken and congratulations. For those who want to know more go to Shipston Town Band on the web.
    Regards
    Gordon Sharp