Keep your files to yourselves... see what can happen...

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 16, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[IMGLEFT]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/tmpnews.gif[/IMGLEFT] Keep your files to yourselves... see what can happen...

I am sure you will all understand why tMP has a policy of censoring posts that make reference to sites such as P2P sharing, kaZaa, Napster, as well as posts that make requests for copies of music et al. Here's an extract from an article that clearly illustrates why we have to stand by this tMP Policy 100%, you may find it interesting... (I have already had one request for modship resignation... heheheheheh)

Police in Finland have raided the operations of a popular BitTorrent file download site, seizing equipment and at the houses four people who ran the site. Police also raided the houses of 30 volunteers who helped moderate the site. According to our early translation of a report of the raids, the 34 people had been arrested, but several readers from Finland have emailed us to say that this is incorrect. Police say the site had 10,000 users, all Finnish, who downloaded illegally-copied content worth millions of euros. The site featured 6000 torrents, including film, videos, music and games. If convicted, the site operators face jail of up to two years and are liable for claims for damages from content owners.
    According to Finnish-language newspaper reports, the police liaised with Interpol and Elisa, a local ISP, in their investigations.

Cases such as this are certainly on the increase and tMP will remain vigilant.

Thoughts...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    al
    IMGLEFT
    kaZaa
    Napster
  3. alks

alks Member

Hey, i think the TMP is perfectly safe from the authorities ...(?)....after all it is not a file sharing site/facility. The fact that some people mention that such sites (kazza. winmx)exist is hardley going to cause any problems. If people subsequently go and use kazza etc then that has nothing to do with the tmp. Also if people make posts requesting music copies then that as well should not effect TMP....you cannot be made accountable if two people decide to share music.....that is a transaction between them. TMP is a communication medium ....the authorities are hardly going to raid British Telecom because two people used thier phone lines to discuss requests for copies of music!.

You can become too paranoid!...

Alks

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

You can also be too complacent.

At tMP we are looking at the wider picture though - obviously we feel the need to protect ourselves, but also we feel the need to protect our members, irrespective of who they are. We do not condone the use of tMP to encourage illegal activity - period - be it sharing recorded music, printed music or whatever. At the end of the day, it is illegal - and people lose money because of it. We have read countless times that there is not enough money in brass publishing as it is - and we at tMP will not be held responsible for encouraging the activity of copying.

In fact, we actively advise against it: The tMP Copyright FAQ

5. alks

alks Member

"we at tMP will not be held responsible for encouraging the activity of copying".

Hey just like to point out that there is/was a google ad banner (which you make money from) directly below this thread, advertising P2P file sharing sites with links to them, One was a link to bittorrent. !

Disclaimer: The following text is just a alternate view. It no way condones illegal activity , just points out some interesting ideas to do with this subject. Purley out of interest and topical debate........

Although i do not condone illegal activity...... you say that illegal copying helps loose money for publishers ...true, but there are always arguments on the flip side.... there are cases where copies of a certian composer/arranger have actually encouraged bands to purchase original music by that composer/arranger in the future because they feel confident that it will be good or even purchase original copies after test driving the photocopied sets.

As for file sharing sites this can actually help widen peoples musical horizons.... encouriging them to purshase more original music in that style from the high street.
    e.g. a person downloads a copy of a tune/song they heard on the tv from a P2P site...they then download more in that style out of interest ....next thing you know that person had developed a liking for jazz/dance or even brass ( we all hope!) and then starts buying original cd's of that type of music....that person could then influence a friend and so on...actually benefiting the industry.

My question is: if it was found that such activity actually benefited the brass movement , would TMP still have such a strong stance on whether it was illegal or not ...??

(My interest in this is fueled by the fact i studied for a degree in IT and took modules in Computing and law, e-commerce (and thier effects on society) amongst others .....and wrote some essays based on the legality of P2P sites and the roles people play in society etc...)

My personal view is that some excellent sites such as roger thornes that let you hear/view the music first are the way forward becaus poeople can see if it is suited to them....... (roger can i have a discount on the thunderbirds march now ive mentioned you?? Eeek!)

Its all very interesting.......

End.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Spot on... we won't. Period.

If you ever see this again please make a screenshot and forward to me as Google will have something to say about that. If what you say is true, then this is most certainly an error on their part.

As for your comment... "which I make money from"... this is only true if someone actually takes the time and trouble to actually click on an advert. If no google adverts are clicked upon, I receive no commission. If you'd like to help with any of the running costs of tMP (which by the way I'd like to remind you is totally FREE and paid for out of my own pocket and so I make no apologies for trying to recoup some of the costs from a totally ligitimate method of revenue generation called Google Ads!!!), i.e. the hosting, the design, the development, the additional features, the forum application - please do so by either clicking on a google banner or offering a voluntary subscription.

If it was illegal... tMP would not support such activity. Period.

... and my interest and knowledge fuelled via my Business Management Degree and modules in IT Management, Psychology, Employment Law, Business Law and Accounting .

I agree... Roger's site is a first class and should be used as a good example.

Great post. Thanks.

7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

well, just finished work, and can't get to sleep, so here's my quick view.

firstly, if it is the situation where publishers make more money from peopl using illegal photocopies/mp3s, then great, but that doesn't make it legal.

secondly, there is absolutely nothing illegal about P2P itself, the illegal bit is what is shared, hence google can use it for advertising.