Keep the chops up during holiday

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Mar 25, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Playing tuba has been awfully fun this year, but when I go on holiday (unlike a tenor horn or baritone) it is very difficult to slip an Eb bass through as carry on!!!

What are some ways you bass players keep your lips in shape while on holiday?

(keep it clean please ;))

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    holiday Playing tuba
    bass players
    lips
    Eb bass
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Bass Players + Practice... = LMAO!

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

thats well mean! but so funny!
    Just take your mouthpiece with you and use that!

5. DublinBass

Not a bad idea yonhee...and I've done that, so I don't get fatigued when pratising after coming back from holiday. However...it doesn't seem to help me from spliting notes as can't seem to focus on the proper partial...unless there are some specific exercises you had in mind?

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Im pretty sure that involves thinking! No i didnt...
    Loan a bass!!

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well Pat, you could always do what I do and try to keep a low enough personal playing standard that a couple of weeks holiday makes no difference whatsoever...;) :p

...or you could take your mouthpiece with you and blow that...

(EDIT: Duh - read the previous posts, Ian :rolleyes: ...erm then I don't know....take up playing a pocket trumpet maybe??)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

if you take a tuner and a mouthpiece, and try to play a few simple tunes making sure all the notes are in tune that should help your pitching... i think...

9. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Yeah, buzzing with your mouthpiece is the best bet.

I got some funny looks when I had my bag searched going on holiday last year! We had a contest the day after I got back!!!

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Take the mouthpiece. Work on long notes (aim for a full sound, even on just the mouthpiece), arpeggios (in tune arpeggios), scales (all of the various sorts - listening carefully for the intonation) and any pieces that you can think of.
    An exercise I use with a lot of my students is to play simple tunes, such as Frere Jacques. If you have a tuner, check the first note and the last - if you are off by the end, you need to listen more carefully next time.

Mouthpiece buzzing is a fantastic way of finding out just how bad you are at pitching (going from personal experience) and is one of the finest ways of improving it. If you can play with accurate intonation on your mouthpiece, when the instrument is attached, you will probably have a greatly improved sense of pitch and accuracy of intonation.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you could always take a length of hosepipe and shove a funnel on the end! Then you would definitely get some funny looks! :tongue:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    holiday Playing tuba
    bass players
    lips
    Eb bass
  13. DublinBass

I've actually tried that as part of a physics experiment once...it is very difficult to centre pitch!!

14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

You could always just have a break. Most of my holidays the last few years have been band tours, so when I get a chance to not play for a week, I take it. Not the end of the world if you have a week off!

15. DublinBass

Yeah...but I have the tMP band in Hadleigh and the LBBA Quartet contest right after I get back :s

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I saw PJBE using them in concert to great effect years ago! Practice your clarino range for tooba! ;)

17. lewis

lewis Member

Pat be careful with mouthpiece practise, it can be counter productive. None of my teachers have ever suggested more than 3 or 4 minutes a day doing just mouthpiece practise. Also I wouldn't suggest doing just buzzing for a couple of weeks without playing the tuba at all is a good idea. As long as you don't go on holiday 15 times a year I really don't think having a couple of weeks off is a bad thing mate. I know it's always hard when you get back but it is good to rest your chops every now and then.

It's all about getting used to the resistance so just buzzing or playing a hose pipe is obviously not the same as playing the tuba. Anyway just go on holiday and have some fun, leave the bl***y thing at home mate ;)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... just having a lighter look at what can be done! ;) Anyone for kettles, hoovers, washing machines?

19. DublinBass

Maybe I should bring my mouthpiece and just try out tubas at various music stores until I get at least 45 minutes of practice in ;)

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What I've found over the years is that it is easier to recover general playing standards on bigger instruments. A rest won't do much harm at all! If you do practice free or m/p buzzing on a regular basis, then take your piece!

21. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

What you should do is buy one then return it at the end of you holiday. Say you decided you dont like that make of instrument...

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure Pat would like to temporarily part with about £3500 for a tuba. ;)