Keep Fit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Maestro, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Have decided finally to get myself in some kind of shape now. Thought I would share my keep fit programme with you all.

EXERCISE FOR PEOPLE OVER 40

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each sack.

Hope you get as much satisfaction from this as I do.

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

All the best to you!

When I was 18 and headed to college, I was 5'9" tall and about 260 lbs! Ugh was I out of shape. Most had to do with the very strange eating habits of our family (both of my parents were addicts).

In college I lost a little weight but still was around 240! Then at age 21, I decided it was time. That was back in the 70s when the running craze was peaking. I bought a pair of running shoes and ran exactly 4 blocks and flopped on some nice guy's front lawn.

He really was nice. At first, I was breathing so hard he thought he should call an ambulance. I told him I would be fine if he would just let me rest on his lawn for a few minutes. He did. I got up with his help and walked back to school. The next day I ran two blocks, walked two, ran two.

I kept increasing my distances as I could -- kind of like you with the potato bags. Anyway, almost one year to the day after I fell on that guy's lawn, I ran a half-marathon (13.1 miles) and weighed in at 170. Two years later I ran the first of several marathons and weight 155 lbs.

Due to a car accident that ripped my back and a very strange foot break and then a Pulmonary Embolism, I can barely make it up the stairs. I am afraid to say I have gain a lot of weight too.

See the 4+ inch screw holding my foot together:
    [​IMG]

In the US, you get health care only if you have insurance. While I have insurance, it is awful (via my wife's job as a pastor and you can imagine they don't spend much).

But with the Pulmonary Embolism, the first night the doctor would not let my wife go home as he gave me less than a 50% chance of making it through the night. I did.

He attirbuted my recovery to several things.

1) I never smoked (yea!)
    2) I was a tough soul
    3) Even though I had gained weight, my Physical Training Program of several years back made a difference.

You never know what will save your life. But getting in shape is always a smart idea.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Not only that, but being in shape helps your brass playing. Wind is probably the most valuable aspect of playing, whether high brass or low.

Do well!

Jim