Kanstul Bass Trombones...in the UK?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by petejackson1983, Jan 19, 2011.

1. petejackson1983

petejackson1983 New Member

I am new to this forum so hi!

I wonder if anyone can tell me where, or even if you can buy a Kanstul Bass Trombone in the UK?

I'm looking at changing my Edwards for something a bit smaller (and lighter!). It's done me proud for over 10 years but I think it's time for a change down to something more sensible and the Kanstul 1662 looks like it might fit the bill.

I have found one website that sells them, but I need a shop that stocks them to try it. They don't seem very common in the UK. I had considered a Rath but it's too expensive. I also looked at changing parts on my Edwards, but again the parts are hard to come by these days and it's expensive. And probably won't solve the weight issue anyway!

Thanks in advance :)
  2. JRH

JRH Member

According to the Kanstul website, Phil Parker is their (only?) dealer in the UK. However, looking at http://www.philparker.biz just now, I didn't see anything about Kanstul there. One or both sites may be out of date. Best to ring them probably.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I believe Phil Parker's are still the UK importer - although their website doesn't scream this out. Its worth giving them a ring (they're generally a helpful bunch) but also worth trying a few others - my flugel came via my local instrument supplier. I rang everyone (literally) and they just happened to be the ones that came good for me.

Although, that said, whoever imports them whether they have one in the country is a different matter. As I understand it, there are very few Kanstul instruments making their way to these shores - if you're dead set on one, you may have to order it especially, and I'm not sure if the supplier would be willing to do that without some sort of guarantees of a sale, or at least some cash.

As I say though - a phone call is a cheap and easy starting point. :tup
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I only know of one player who has one on this side of the Atlantic (and don't know them personally) - Julian Kerrell, formerly of Tredegar. Might be worth contacting him?
  5. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

Julian has one as I have played it! A fantastic instrument it is to. He bought it from Mr. Tuba who had purchased the same from Kanstul at the Frankfurt trade show (I know cause I played it at the show and liked it that much that suggested Mr. tuba buy it).

Julian also has a Thein which is also awesome.

Good luck
  6. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

You could try Alan Gregory in Manchester. I tried one of their Kanstul flugels so I know they are an importer, so may be worth giving them a try