Kaleidoscope Dynamics.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Shommusic, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Shommusic

Shommusic New Member

I wonder if anyone can answer this query (perhaps even Mr Sparke himself!)?

Variation 1 (the loud horn one!), bars 57-66 are marked piano throughout on the music; however, at bar 65 & 66 the horns and baritones have an accented motif together with percussion. Percussion is marked at ff, should horns/bars be the same dynamic as percussion, or still just p???

Apologies if this has been asked before.

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

at a guess, cos I've only played through it once... it's correct... cos it's a percussion feature their if I remember rightly...
    anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

3. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

YEs, we have marked our copies up to ff
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'm sure Mr. Sparke will clarify this one for us when he reads this thread.
  5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I PM'd Philip about this not long ago.

Apparently it is an error on the horn part, it should be marked as with the rest of the band.
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, I admit it!!!! It's a mistake!! :oops:

Horns and baritones should have an ff in bar 65.

Apologies for that. But I think it's the only error that has been found.

Good luck to all 2nd section bands at the Areas :lol:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Does that mean the others are better hidden :?: :shock: :lol:
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I think Mr Sparke should be congratulated for there being only one mistake found... much better than in previous years where nearly every area piece has a massive errata sheet!
  9. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

No - it means it's tempting fate to claim that there ARE no other errors!! :lol:
  10. Moy

Moy Active Member

Nice to see a composer who actually comes and talks to us.
    Although I am not playing your piece thank you very much Philip.
    I am playing Coventry Variations...and am changing a note that I know IS wrong.....might get penalised. :cry:
  11. skweeky

skweeky Member

hello Phillip. Im only young, young enough to not know anything but personally prefer your piece to any test piece ive played yet :lol: ive only played 7 or 8 but even still :D

but id like to ask your opinion as its a chance not many people can get to ask a composer about his own music but in the the opening of kaleidoscope (the 1st 4/4 section) the sop and solo cornets have a sort of pad and normally goes out of tune for fear of losing dynamic or simply the sop falling off but ive wondered that although the rest of the cornet section playing here (i think) they are playing with a tin mute in and would it be right to have the sop play with a fibre mute instead to be more comfortable or is that cheating???

thanks alot :wink:

ps ive heard a few bands perform it already and their percussion drown out the cornets quavers at 303 - 339 is it supposed to be like this?
  12. Baldeagle

Baldeagle Member

Great bit of music Philip, we came 1st with it at Derby last week.
  13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Congratulations. I agree with you it is a terrific piece of music there is something for everyone. At least the 2nd cornets don't have 65 bars rest or anything like that, they get the chance to show what they are made of.