Just Wondering...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aimee_euph, Jun 22, 2003.

Do you expect to be offered expences?

1. Yes

2. No

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

...when you help a band out, either contest or concert, do you expect to be paid?

I helped out a band once, not saying who, but they asked me to play Sol Euph for a contest, i rehearsed for 2 hours solid, then another 2 hours solid (after doing 5hours playing during the day...) then up at the crakc of dawn to be at the contest place for 8.45 an i got up at 7am on a sunday. They didnt even offer to pay me for it, didnt offer to pay petrol, they were going to charge me for going on the coach and didnt offer to even buy me a drink.
    My band, Rainford Silver Band pay guests all the time, even when they helped at Whit Friday and only came to one measly 1hour rehearsal (they were late).

So, do you expect to be paid when helping a band? If so, how much do you charge?
  2. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

well, it depends on the band and who I know in it, and while I might not charge, my experience is that most bands will offer something, even if it is just a fiver.

And on that point, I know bands that are paying principle cornets £50 a practice, and that's a first section band!
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

As a principle, I don't believe that amateur players should be charging amateur music organisations for their services, unless either

i) It's cost them a significant amount of money to help out
    ii) They don't want to do the job

applies. If a group that isn't paying its regular players for the job offers me money to play at something that it wouldn't put me out to help with, I'll take it if they insist, but I wouldn't dream of asking for an appearance fee. A lot of bands out there need the cash more than the players that are helping out!

That said, the band that Aimee helped out sound a bit cheeky.

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It depends where the job is. If it's in my home town no I don't expect any payment, But if I've got to travel I make it quite clear to the band asking that I do live on state benefits and can only afford to help them out if they cover my petrol expenses. But I wouldn't dream of charging more than it actually cost me in petrol
  5. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well I'd never be asked to dep but my thoughts are that an offer of travel expenses should be made, it is up to the individual if they accept or decline.
  6. 007superfan

007superfan New Member

If a person has to travel a long distance petrol should be paid, most bands do offer some payment, The dep should not have to pay travel expenses at all when going to a contest, the band either needs them or not. :?:
  7. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I don't accept money - I play because I love it and I accepted a fee for the first time this weekend and boy do I feel weird...but it will be put to a very good use!

If a band insist on paying me I will give the money to my band or to charity - I guess I'm a Robin Hood of deps - "rob the rich to give to the poor" or something!

Rach x
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think reasonable travelling expenses should be offered, and it is then up to the individual whether they accept it or not. With the Salvation Army Wind Ensemble that only meets three times a year, with the venue always changing, the majority of us pay our own travelling, but if there are those with particular circumstances - students etc studying in the north of England, when most of our engagments have been further south - they are encouraged to take something towards the costs incurred.
  9. Bones

Bones Member

In my view so long as an offer is made then that suffices. My own personal bugbear is when a band expects you to turn up, often sight read, or at least do a number of rehearsals at your own expense and then do not recognise the effort you may have had to put into that job.

The Deps list on this forum is a good of establishing what people expect before they are booked.

10. strongbow

strongbow Member

I agree, it is often enough just to be asked and not taken for granted. Perhaps the poll should have read do you expect to be offered expenses?
  11. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

I wouldn't mind not being paid but i had a solo in one of the pieces, and they didnt ask me if I minded playing principal!
    Last time i helped this particular band out, they paid me a £5 and i was playing 2nd Euph, i half expected a £10, which isn't a lot to be fair and the band secretary was going to keep my registration card!!!

But what really cheesed me off, was that I am really happy on Solo Euph at Rainford Silver, but every 2minutes it was "Are you going to join us then?" and i'm quite shy really and i don't really like saying no, so i said "I'll think about it,"

But, to be honest, I think when someone rings you up, and asks you to dep, they should really mention that you're not going to be paid, where they expect you to play, and what rehearsals you are expected to attend (ie - 2hours the night before a contest when i wasn't really well at all) a d whether you need to pay for the coach.

In reply to someone else on this thread, it was at least 40+ miles from my house, it took over an hour to get there anyway...
  12. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Ooh, can i mention in addition to my above post that i didnt want to go on the coach due to the constant mithering of me joining of which i class it as poaching.
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of an instance when my father was playing first trombone in an amateur orchestra in Slough. For one concert they needed an additional player, and brought in a professional. Even though he was an inferior player to my dad, dad insisted that the professional play top - after all, he was being paid to take the risks!
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

my mum reckons they gave me the solo seat to get me to join...
  15. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

It would have to cost me a considerable amount for me to accept any cash, however, I would never turn down a beer :D

It's always nice to be asked if you want expenses. If I was playing a solo, I would have to quadruple my beer allowance....and that's before I played :!:
  16. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

like many have said before it would be nice if travel expenses were offered if travelling a distance but on the whole I would not expect to be paid because I just love playing.
  17. mel

mel Member

If I had a long distance to travel, I would like to think my petrol expenses were covered. Expenses should be something that is made clear from the onset. No annoyance felt then, if nothing is offered.
  18. horn1

horn1 Member

I've helped out many bands in the past both for contests and concerts and don't expect to be paid or get expenses. Having said that I have been paid on a couple of occasions by bands but that was purely because when they asked me what I charged I said I didn't know and then when they gave me the money I was too embarassed to say anything! :oops: :oops:
    Generally I like to help out bands because I enjoy playing, having recently been a student being paid is nice but never expected. The way I look at it is that if I help them out then maybe they'll be able to help us out in the future. If a job is a considerable way however, I do think it's only polite to offer expenses and not being bought a drink is unforgivable!!! :guiness
  19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think a band should always offer to pay a dep. The payment should cover travel expenses and/or a few beers.

That being said, the offer doesn't have to be accepted. Unless I was totally put out by the gig, I would either refuse the money or use it to buy some of the friendly members of the band a few beverages after the gig (thus returning all the money ultimately to its original source).
  20. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In common with a lot of people, I don't expect to be paid if I dep, but I would expect to be offered expenses. I wouldn't take them, usually, unless the gig was a huge distance away or I felt the band was expecting too much.

I think any band that tries to poach players who have come to dep for them should be refused if they ask for deps again. That kind of thing should be actively discouraged.