Just want to say thank you

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CornetAnderson, May 10, 2011.

1. CornetAnderson

CornetAnderson New Member

I just want to say thank you to all you cornet players in Europe for keeping the cornet tradition alive. I'm from America and here in America I wasn’t aware of the unique voice of the cornet. I grew up playing the trumpet because it was the main high brass instrument I was exposed to. The few cornets I did see throughout elementary and high school were the American long model cornets. I know for myself I didn't like the way they looked and they sounded identical to trumpets because they had Bach trumpet mouthpieces with cornet shanks in them. My music teacher asked me which horn I wanted to play and I chose the trumpet instead of cornet. For the most part, the cornets just sat in a dark corner collecting dust. When I joined the US Army band, I was once again exposed to the long model cornet and I didn't like them all that much then too. Up until a few years ago the closest I got to a shepherd crook cornet was on the other side of a glass display case in a New York City music store. I play jazz primarily and there was a special sound concept I was looking for. One day I clicked on a youtube video of David Daws . His tone was very close to the sound concept I had in my head . I wanted to find out what kind of horn he was playing. Once I realized that he was playing a shepherds crook cornet, I wanted to learn more. I read everything I could get my hands on about the cornet. Cornetist like Roger Webster, Phil McCann, and Richard Marshall have been a big inspiration for me, because of the way they demonstrated the technical abilities of the cornet. I heard trumpets doing fantastic stuff but the cornet came across allot more polished. I learned that this was one of the great qualities of the cornet and I wanted to do that too. After I finally brought my cornet, I hit the woodshed and every chance I had, I had the cornet glued to my face. I talked to other trumpet players about using the shepherds crook cornet for jazz and was laughed at and told that I was crazy. They also said that “The cornet is only good for small groups and brass bands. They don’t project well and all they will do is just make you tired and frustrated. Just play the trumpet. It is the best for jazz,” I’m glad that I didn’t listen to them . I knew that if Nat Adderlry , Thad Jones , and Bix Beidebecke could play jazz on cornet I can do it too. I learned how to make the cornet work for me. Now I play cornet exclusively and I have you guys to thank. :biggrin:
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

A certain Louis Armstrong also started on cornet, I believe - apparently he switched to trumpet because it was easier to get gigs....

I laugh when I see jazz trumpeters playing 'mellow' stuff on Flugel (with a trumpet mouthpiece) - with a bit of practice, they could be brash and mellow on a cornet :)
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Just glad to hear you're enjoying your playing!! And welcome to TMp by the way. :)

Whoever said you can't play Jazz on a cornet clearly never stuck at it long enough to find out. OK, it's not a UK brass band model cornet, but Luther Henderson didn't do such a bad job on a cornet on this one either...

4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Welcome to tMP!

What a lovely post. You've properly cheered me up on a really rubbish day :)
  5. CornetAnderson

CornetAnderson New Member

I totally agree. I would also add that it is a common myth, among trumpet players with little exposure to the cornet, that the cornet and trumpet are basically the same. They will reason that they can just pull a cornet out of its case,stick a "C" cup trumpet mouthpiece in the receiver and start playing it like a trumpet. Once they realize that they are unable to play the cornet as well as the trumpet, they will claim that the cornet is limited and not as good as trumpet. It never crosses their mind to consider the fact that the cornet is a different instrument than a trumpet and all that is needed is more time in in the practice room in order to discover what the cornet is capable of.