Just joining .....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stephen Richardson, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Stephen Richardson

Stephen Richardson New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to join my local band (I live in Cornwall).

Looking forward to keeping up with all the news from around the UK and the world.

I used to play in a drum corps and spent six months touring the US with a pretty good unit back in 1983.

I haven't really played much since then but I am hoping to be able to start again over the coming months.

Can I ask what is probably a very silly question - is there any rule to limit the number of players in a band? It seems that the best bands have around thirty or so plus percussionists. Is this because of a rule or is it because that number is around the optimum in terms of organisation etc?

Suzi Q likes this.
  2. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Bands that compete regularly are usually geared up for contests which state 25 brass players + persussionists. Outside of competitions you can have as many players as you can get hold of.

Stephen Richardson likes this.
  3. Stephen Richardson

Stephen Richardson New Member

Thank you! :)

4. Suzi Q

Suzi Q Member

Welcome Stephen. Only just joined myself, but seem a nice friendly bunch!

Suzi

5. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

Funny to see this posted, I was reading the rules yesterday for registering a band member. A band can have 40 members registered. Though I suppose they could have some subs included in that figure that don't normally play in competitions. A quick look at the competition rules would suggest that different competitions have different limits.

6. julian

julian Active Member

Hi Stephen - welcome! - I'm also based in sunny (but not at the moment!) Cornwall. If a band wants to enter mainstream contests it can have 40 registered players at any one time, but only 25 brass + percussionists are able to play at the contest. i.e. 25 + perc. from 40. Of course, any number can play with the band away from the contest scene.
    Kind regards,
    Julian
    P.S. I have P.M.'d you

7. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

40 is I think the maximum number you can log with the registry at any one time - I guess to stop bands hoovering up every player and then not playing them. For those that dont contest there is no limit

Beyond that the number that can appear on stage at a contest depends entirely on the rules of that contest - the regionals ("Areas") and Butlins will only allow 25 brass plus percussion as required but other contests will allow more - Leivester contest allows for 30 + Perc and I think the ODDBA contests allow for 35 + Perc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice