Just in case.....?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Well Worth It, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

If you're reading this, it's reasonably obvious that banding is your primary pastime. It is expected and given that for your own benefit, you look after the bits of your body that you need to play e.g. lips, fingers, teeth etc.

Where do you stop however? No contact sport? No running in case you trip? Not going out after 2300 in case you get mugged and your face ends up on your shirt and your teeth safe in your back pocket?

To what extent, and under what circumstances do you decline to partake in a certain activity in fear of hindering your banding?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

Most "hands on" sports are dangerous cause u can get major injuries from it, my mum stopped me doing basketball because i used to get hurt too much. I can't really answer ur question though i thought i'd just say my thoughts instead. I regret not being able to do sport just in case somethin happens, i think u shouldn't b so tough about it, if u use common sense then anything shouldn't be a problem!!!!:)
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

don't think i've ever ducked out of anything for fear of hurting a bit i need for banding...i do try not to get hurt generally tho cos i have a reaction to it, it brings me out in blood.

I dare say tho that if (god forbid) i did get in a fight i'd try my best not to take a smack in the gob!
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

If anyone even looks like they might be thinking about hitting me in the mouth I get rather angry... other than that, nothing bothers me... I'd do all sorts of contact sports if I could be bothered to get up...
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I wouldnt stop *anything* for fear of injuring myself... I wouldnt do a thing else!... I wouldnt drive in fear of having an accident... wouldnt walk in fear of falling down a hole or tripping over a curb... wouldnt go out in the rain in fear of catching a cold.... wouldnt go out at all in fear of getting mugged.... wouldnt eat in fear of getting food poisoning... wouldnt play sports in fear of breaking a bone or getting a scratch.... I could go on all day....

I've even managed to do some nasty injuries within the bandroom itself (trapped my left thumb in some tables which bruised and swelled my thumb up like a balloon! :shock: ) which stopped me playing kit a week or 2... driving was painful as well!
    So, in fear of not playing in a band for a rehearsal or 3 or concert or 2 or contest... I wouldnt play in a band in the first place either! :lol:

Of course, if you lead a life like that, what's the point eh? :lol:

Do everything! That's what I say... you only live once... so make the most of it! :lol: :biggrin:
    Besides, there is more to life than banding I'm afriad... and you all know how much I love it!

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

Here Here!!!
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I don't do lots of things that I don't want to do in case I get hurt :) The main thing though is that I don't eat beans in case I become very unpopular in the bandroom :rolleyes:
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Me , I play rugby (after a fashion ) .As a lumbering forward (with club fines if we touch the ball !! ) speed is not an issue in any collision , but I do wear a scrum cap (and the obligatory gumshield) which unfortunately gives the impression that I know what I'm doing !!
    Took the precaution of not playing the week before the finals , although I did train on Tuesday night (Am captain this season so could not duck out after blowing out game ).
    Actually , playing a game of rugby is very similar to my experience in Harrogate this last weekend - 80 minutes of painful inconvenience between pints!!
  9. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I had my tongue pierced three years ago, and I couldn't play a single note for about three weeks after it was pierced. Infact I couldn't talk very well or eat anything without dribbling!!!
  10. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

is it still pierced? cant say i noticed when you were sitting next to me! :)
  11. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Yes it's still pierced!! I would never take it out, and plus Roy would be so unhappy if I did:oops:

TIMBONE Active Member

Well I had my ear pierced several years ago, and my trombone playing seemed to improve tremendously.