Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Padmavani, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Padmavani

Padmavani New Member

Hello there, I'm having another go at brass after a 30 year break (I'm 55 now), just rented a John Packer flugelhorn to see how I get on with it. I'm playing left-handed, because I have a mutant right hand/arm, and so far it's fine. Perhaps one day I'll save up for a custom LH instrument... My motivation is that I want to play jazz and Bach, and I chose the flugelhorn because I love the sound compared to other similar pitched brass. Wish me luck.

2. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I don't know why so many people have read your post, but none of them have wished you luck - but good luck from me!

Judging from what I saw of a friend whose legs were crippled with polio (he had arms and shoulders like a blacksmith!), I would imagine that the strength and flexibility in the fingers of your left hand is of a high order, so you go for it, Padmavani - I'm sure you'll do well! :)

Jack

2nd tenor likes this.
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Good luck from me too and welcome. If you haven’t joined a Brass Band already or don’t have one in mind then let us know and then some can be suggested to you - you might get some help with wind and jazz bands too.

For various reasons there are far, far, more active readers than posters on this forum. The vast bulk of folk here are decent and supportive folk so if the OP has any particular questions then I feel sure that She’ll get some good answers - and possibly some humorous ones too.

Best wishes to all for this coming year. 2T

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You have reminded me that years ago there was a very fine cornet player in the S.A. at Sunderland - Alan Laing - who also played left handed for similar reasons. Someone on here might be able to provide further details if you need some inspiration. I wish you every success.

5. Repman

Repman New Member

Always good to see a returner, jazz & Bach is quite a combination. Best of luck!

6. julian

julian Active Member

Hi Padmavani, Welcome! - Enjoy your brass playing......

7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I once knew a violin player who bowed with the left hand. In the orchestra he always had to sit on the end to stop him hurting anyone. No reason for it other than complete bolshiness. He later became an MD of a brass band and he was dreadful at it but played machiavellian power games with players so lasted a couple of years before being voted out.
    Hope you love the flugel (good choice) Padmavani. Best of luck to you.

8. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

I would have thought a good repairer should be able to switch the lead pipe over to make it more comfortable ?

9. Euphman2

Euphman2 Active Member

McQueens in Manchester seem to be able to perform some miracles. Try contacting them about a lh conversion

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice