Just Curious, How many of your players Live Local

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Patkin, May 16, 2007.

1. Patkin

Patkin New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how many of your players actual live in the Town/Village of your band?
    We have 13 in the town (I think..lol.) with another 4 who live within 4 miles and still have family ties with our town.
    The rest of our members travel between 10 to 20 miles.
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Brackley & District

2 in Brackley
    8 within 10 miles
    10 within 20 miles
    2 more than 20 miles

and a few empty chairs we would'nt mind filling with players from anywhere !
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

At Killamarsh we have

In village - 4
    up to 5 miles - 16
    up to 10 miles - 8
    up to 20 miles - 2

Perhaps we should also work out our carbon footprint?
  4. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

At Horbury we have

20 members that live in the village
    4 members within a 10 mile radius
    1 member within a 20 mile radius

with one empty Bass Trombone chair
  5. Horco

Horco Member

At Yeovil we have
    7 within the town
    6 just on the outskirts
    7 at 10 - 20 miles radius
    7 at + 20 miles
    Still have a couple of vacant chairs on Cornet though
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We have:

In Ipswich = 6
    <10 miles = 4
    10 to 20 miles = 8
    >20 miles = 9 (this includes 3 at more than 40 miles)
  7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

At St Agnes:

In the village: 12
    Within 5 miles: 12
    Within 10 miles: 9

At Lympstone people come from all over Devon! Although the number of members that live in the village has doubled recently as Bryony and Tim have just moved there! I wouldn't like to say exactly where everyone comes from, because I'm not 100% sure!
  8. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Most of them live in the tow nsay about 20 and rest live in the countryside about 10mins away 15 max!!!
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

at gresley roughly 60% are local
    the rest have to travel about 20-40 mins journey
  10. msgiggles

msgiggles New Member

Just to say that as a band wife and mother the travelling to find the right band is hard -- At the moment hubby is driving to Harrogate band and on the same nights I am driving up the road to Fishburn band with my son ! and with the grand shield appoaching at the weekend its hard work. Would love to be able to go and support the more local bands and both of them do as deps and just to help out. But many of them are failing to keep there numbers and quality of playing up so the travel has beconme a necessity.
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I live about 1 mile from the bandroom :) 1 other member lives a similar distance. About 4-6 other members live in the surrounding areas of Trafford. The majority of the rest travel between 15-45 mins. We have people travelling a number of miles, but as we are directly off the motorway it is an easy commute.
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

I live about 55miles from the bandroom.

Takes about 2 hours by public transport + lifts to get there... but they're sure one nice bunch of people! :)
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

At Kidlington:

1 in the "village" (it's bigger than many towns)
    1 more a couple of miles away, in North Oxford
    10 more within 10 miles
    5 more within 20 miles
    6 more within 30 miles
    1 more within 40 miles
    and 1 very much appreciated loony at a little over 100 miles...

The average (mean) trip is about 17 miles.
  14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

All but 3 are within walking distance of the Bandroom.
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looking at some of the other amounts of travelling that's going off would it be fair to say that the higher up the sections a band is then there is on average more travelling to the band rehearsal?

So is the fact that "better" players are prepared to travel to "better" bands simply adding to the demise and problem of "numbers and quality" of the local band?
  16. MartinT

MartinT Member

We don't currently have a bandhall as such, but taking Wantage and Grove as being one unit (max distance for residents to rehearsals at various locations within that unit being about 2 miles):

13 within Wantage & Grove
    10 within 10 miles
    3 within 20 miles
    1 at about 70 miles

Measured as the crow flies rather than by road.
  17. andyp

andyp Active Member

Definitely. It used to amuse me when our Stuart played for YBS that some of YBS came from this side of the Pennines to go to Yorkshire and some of Leyland came over from Yorkshire (presumably waving at each other as they passed by around Birch Services on the M62!).

When we played for Marple it was an hour each way from home in Leyland-which is one reason why I play nearer home!

At Eccleston it's (roughly)

5 in the town (it's not really a "village" any more)
    6-8 within 5 miles
    10 within 10
    rest within 15
    and that's about it, think either I'm the furthest or the three who live Wigan way, not sure, only takes me 15-20 mins to band though.

In my local band (Banks) just about the whole band lives in the village and can walk to practice!
  18. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The majority of our band live in towns and villages around the outskirts of Cambridge like Sawston, Histon, St Ives, Shelford etc. Our furthest traveller is our conductor, who comes all the way from Buckinghamshire (I think!?)
  19. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

As Liz said earlier there are only 4 people who actually live in Lympstone......I used to drive 22 miles before I moved. There are quite a few people from Exeter and Exmouth but quite a lot travel from further afield such as Ivybridge, Saltash, Torquay and Crediton. Although, we live the closest can't say I'm there first - normally lastish but tonight I'm going to be first as I foolishly volunteered to help carry the percussion to the church we are rehearsing in tonight in readiness for W-S-M on Sunday.
  20. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

We have one player who actually lives in Swinton. (The village has a population of about 300!) There are seven who live more than 10 miles (one of these has just moved to Manchester so I guess we'll not see much of her!) and the rest live in Malton and Norton about 4 miles from the bandroom