Just being nosey!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Zeek, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

I was browsing though the gobpiece.com on facebook, and its an enjoyable read amonst friends, who we can have a laugh with, but some have this chip on their shoulder from tmp.com

I was just wondering what certain people have done to be banished from a site that is about a movement that is never in the public forfront and most people wouldn't know about.

Surely people have a right to put whatever they feel like saying unless it was just too bad....?

Also why does it take so long to find out how to put a ****** post on this site, it took ages to find where to do it!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    gobpiece.com
    some
    friends
    right
    forfront
  3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Hi Zeek.

I'm sure John will explain in full, but my view of this is that some people have contravened the rules quite a few times, and, in some cases, these have been serious contraventions. If you click the 'tMP rules' link at the top of the page you can see these rules.

This is the chief reason for people being banned - this site is intended to be family friendly so some content has to be carefully monitored...

Hope this helps.

4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

some of what has been said I think was deserving of a ban, but I don't think that many have been banned... on the whole tMP is a well moderated forum.

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Don't go there Zeek, just mentioning that word got me into alsorts of trouble last week for something so petty.
    I predict a riot.

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

What makes you think that?

This is a privately owned site. The fact that it's open to anyone to join doesn't give anyone any "rights" over it at all, in the same way that you don't have a "right" to have your comments printed on 4BR, or the BBC.

"Chip on their shoulder" is about right, and some of the people who claim to have been "banned" haven't at all (apart from the ubiquitous spammers, I can only think of 2 or 3 members who have been permanently banned). The others had some of their posts moderated, their posting rights temporarily restricted and were told off a bit, and they couldn't take it. Jonathan Pippen in particular seems to have a personal beef of some sort with the owner of this site which has as much to do with his "gobpiece" group as any deep-seated commitment to freedom of speech.

Ironically, I believe that group is now a closed group on Facebook? So you can only join by invitation? When Jon set it up he expressly stated that is was to be open, unmoderated and anyone could say anything they liked, that it was to be the "anti-tMP". That lasted ages, then. As JP has now discovered, as soon as you allow the world and his wife the "right" to post whatever they want, you always get one or two who are only there to stir up trouble.

There have been occasions (like the demise of Sellers, YBS losing their sponsorship, the Grimethorpe cornet saga) where a number of top flight players including members of the bands concerned felt that the issue wasn't something lower section banders should be commenting on without full possession of the facts - and there were some pretty ill-informed and speculative posts, to be sure. Some of the disillusionment with tMP stems from that, I'm sure, but that betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature; people like to gossip. Add to this the fact that a number of the players in the bands concerned are banding "celebrities", and you simply aren't going to stifle discussion. Jon actually started a thread with the premise that if you haven't played in top level banding, you shouldn't be commenting on it, which led to some fairly irate discussions. If you're bored, have a look for it, it's an interesting, albeit slightly depressing read.

7. Anno Draconis

I think it was describing it as a "rival" that got John steamed up, Stella. As it's a Facebook group with membership by invitation only as opposed to a standalone site with its own domain name, I think he might have felt the comparison a bit demeaning to a site he's spent a lot of time and money on.

He did bite yer head off a bit, though ;)

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

...........says he in his 51st post, and in the 6th thread he's managed to create.................... :rolleyes:

9. StellaJohnson

yeah, true, wrong wording I did appologise and some members kept going on about it. I joined it before it was invitation only. I was basically to stop people joining with made up names firing abusive at him. If you have a proper name and it looks genuine anyone can join.

10. Anno Draconis

Anyone who's invited, yes. There's the big difference. On here anyone can join and get their opinion aired, and they will only be moderated - or censored if you prefer - if they break John's rules. With a closed group you have to be invited in and as you put it, "look genuine", so the censorship takes place before you even have chance to say anything.

I can't imagine John, Will Elsom or Mike Lyons (for example) being invited, which is a shame because from what little I saw of the group before it was closed they came in for a right royal slating and have no right to reply. I'm sure they couldn't care less, but it just seems wrong to me.

Incidentally, and I know this is a bit off-topic :oops:, a lot of the chips on shoulders stem from the fashion du jour for everyone to be able to "have their say" on any topic whatsoever, regardless of whether they have an informed and interesting opinion or not. This is the curse of the digital age, because given the opportunity everyone likes to see/hear their opinion publicised - I'm doing it right now :rolleyes:. Trouble is, opinions are like anuses - everyone's got one but it's not neccesarily desirable that they should be aired in public.

11. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    gobpiece.com
    some
    friends
    right
    forfront
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You got that bit dead right Andy. I actually found the group using google and had a read. I always thought Tossa was a place in Spain!

LMAnusO! :)

13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Well, here's an example of why that site should not be taken seriously:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=51159021605&topic=7240

And just in case the thread is removed from there:

Responsible - NOT

This sort of thing is malicious and is one of the reasons that I think people should be ashamed of participating in this group. What is the world coming to when a whole bunch of people join some crappy group that's set up to call people names and deliberately sabotage some other person's website.

I'm going to call names here. It's immature, irresponsible, and reprehensible. Go away to your crappy site and leave this site alone please.

Stupid troll.

14. StellaJohnson

The site is a bit of fun, a micky take and a laugh. I do believe Jon has a little point to his opinion but again thats my opinion.I play for a lower section band, never played at the top and some people just talk rubbish.

I have alot of respect for John and the mods and what it achieves. For example its help me join a band in leeds where i have recently moved to, which is great. The name calling of people and bitching is not nice and is not acceptable, I agree with. I personally don't get involved in that.

If I want to be a memeber of both, thats my choice. Just like if you vote for a political party I disagree with, thats your choice, I don't judge you.

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Fair enough. But by joining a site like that, in my opinion, even if you're not participating, if you're not speaking up against the bad behaviour then you're actually helping to perpetuate it.

I would personally not join a site where the person who ran it clearly only set it up to bitch about, and organise irresponsible attacks on another site, and the people who use it. That's my choice. I respect your right to make your own choice. I'm just pointing out that in my opinion, the whole thing is very childish, and that I don't think it's appropriate for "random people" to come on here and create threads about it just to stir up this sort of discussion. Perhaps "Zeek" is in fact, JonP. Who knows.?

16. Anno Draconis

I'm pretty sure he isn't. He can spell, and punctuate, for a start.

The business about "organising an attack on tMP" could be defined as a Denial Of Service attack, which has been illegal in the UK and punishable by up to 10 years in chokey since 2006 so I think it's unlikely, somehow. Just JP rattling the bars of his cage. As far as I can tell its basically a small clique of players (who all know each other anyway) having a pop at anything and everything they don't like, including each other - no different from a million other facebook groups. Nothing particularly funny or interesting unless you know the people concerned.

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

18. Zeek

Zeek Member

Its just a really roundabout way to find what you want.

The posts are easy as there is a big 'your post' button at the top of the thread, its the threads that are hard to start, as i dont do lots of them, its just there should be a big 'new thread' button at the top of all the new threads, life would be easier!

19. StellaJohnson

20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Sort of like

[​IMG]

that?

21. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yes but just getting to that button is hard work!