Just a quick question....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TuTuKu, Feb 10, 2005.

1. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

When a brass player becomes tired and the lips start to 'go', does it have any effect on the pitch of notes, ie, do they become sharper or flatter?

I'm just trying to explain away a funny trend in physics coursework!

Thanks, TuTuKu

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    question
    player
    pitch
    notes
    trend
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I would think the answer is both. Everybody that plays in tune has a good idea where the pitch should be and then autmotically compensates for the problems of the horn...so, if you get tired you are less able to compensate, which means top space E which is by design flat will go flat and G above the staff which is by design sharp will begin to go sharp?

At least that's my guess...of course the best way to find out is to test any hypothesis, so start playing ;)

(BTW I don't know if there really is a quick answer to that question)

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I agree with BBCBari - for me, I just lose the ability to make fine pitch adjustments, so the tendencies of the instrument tend to overwhelm me.

5. Lisa

Lisa Member

I find my playing goes really sharp if my lip is tired - I have to pull my tuning slide out a mile to compensate!

6. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Thanks for the quick responses, good ol' tMP...

the results I took when I was tired where quite a bit sharper than the results I took when I wasn't so tired...

I'll have a bit of a tootle and see if i can come up with any theory!

thanks