Just a few thoughts....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickjones, May 12, 2006.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Seeing threads with titles like " Judges can we trust them" , Masons "alleged" involvement in the Band judging process , having Sally Army influence in competitions is it good or Bad for Competiting bands?why do we still compete? am sure bands could make a lot more money at festivals , concerts , promoting youth bands etc...
    what do other people think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    threads
    Masons
    influence
    Sally Army
    Bad
  3. persins

persins Member

Mainly cos we love it so much!!
    Despite our constant moaning and winging about everything related to contests, at the end of the day, most of us love the competition and the feeling of winning. Although it doesn't happen very often for most of us, the chance of it just being "our time" is a definite pull factor!!!

4. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Then again you could easily have a music for youth kind of competition where distinction and merit etc are used and also gives the bands ample social interaction which is really why people love contests, i.e catching up on old friends like your good self Persins ;-)

5. Tack7

Tack7 Member

Although concerts are the main revenue raiser & general work load of a banding year, contests have a varied effect on bands. Whilst the general public are more likely to pay for a concert ticket than a contest ticket, its really the contest results from years past & present that bring the bands name & reputation to their attention initially. Then you could say that contests have also been the end of some bands, shortage of players in one area, the constant need to enlist & be seen to be progressing, then if the results dont come players moving on. Then the process starts again. So contesting itself has an ability to raise confidence & push the band forward whilst your in a "winning" position but then can also create a negative if your not. While i agree there is a great buzz in having played in a great concert, it will never beat the buzz of being a winner! This is what life is about.

Si

6. andyp

andyp Active Member

If you enter contests purely to make money you are wasting your time!

Sure, it's possible to find a handful of contests with £1000 for first or something but most barely (if at all) cover the expenses of going. (The notable exection is Whit Friday when it is possible to make maybe £4000 in one night, but there's only one of those).

Competition is supposed to improve the band, as well as pitting yourselves against others of a similar standard so you can be compared, build a reputation, etc. Also you would (generally) never rehearse a concert piece to the nth degree like you do with a test piece, cos you wouldn't do a concert of just one piece.

I much prefer concerts to contests, but I know they are neccessary if the band is to improve and continue to improve.

7. Nat

Nat Member

its also cool at contests to catch up with ex band members and friends from other bands that you dont get to see very often and also going to a contest and giving a great performane after months of hard work is relly rewarding

8. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Exactly :clap: .

I know we all complain about contesting, but I think I'd get bored if the band didn't compete. It's the feeling of achievement putting in a performance after weeks of preparation (and of course it's always nice when the results go your way!). And by playing test pieces you're more challenged than if you always stuck to concert repertoire. Personally on contest day, I can't stand the waiting around for the draw, then to go on stage, but the social aspect afterwards always makes up for it - like Nat says it's great to catch up with people that you may have not seen for ages.

As for accessibility to the public etc, there are lots of entertainment contests that aren't quite so formal and consequently maybe intimidating to the lay person. And contests such as the Spring Festival, Pontins etc. offer a great chance to hear many good pieces played by top bands - surely a good source of entertainment for any music lover?