Jupiter instruments. any good???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Nov 17, 2006.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi folks, i 'm looking to buy a couple of instruments for our youth band, and somebody recomended Jupitor instruments.
    I'm not loking for top of the range instruments, just student instruments.
    I'm looking for a horn and baritone.
    anybody tried these?:confused:
    Are they good value for money??:confused:

Thank you all in anticipation of your help.

2. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I have seen some jupiter instruments and they would certainly do an ok job. I have recently played a jupiter trumpet and it was ok its not to my taste but would certainly be ok for junior band. I found the beginer yamaha brass instruments to be excellent as well but prob depends on the bands budget and think yamaha is little more expensive!
  3. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'd guess that Jupiter is as good as anything you'll find in that price range. The quality can't be any worse than the (pre bancruptcy) entry level bessons

From bad experience recently with a local youth band, I can definitely advise that you stay well away from Odyssey cornets!
  4. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Hey Craigy,
    I dont think you can go far wrong with Jupiters for junior bands, i know many of the beginners i have tought in the past have had them.
    One thing to bare in mind though, the student model Jupiter baritone is more like a euphonium. It was a bit of a size challenge for the little girl i knew that played it.
    Non of the kids i taught had any problems with their Jupiters, and the plus point is, the cases withstand child handling!
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

I have a Jupiter cornet I use on odd occasions I help out another band (now I am not regularly playing cornet with my band), bought it on eBay for about 60 quid, and it blows 99% as well as a Yamaha student model that I have used, with fairly good 3rd slide throw etc.

The only person I have met with a Jupiter baritone played it pretty badly (a non-compensating instrument & he made it show!), so would not use it as a reference point! It is Euph sized & shaped though.

Anyone had a look at the Virtuosi instruments baritones & horns? The "professional" model Baris look OK, certainly in relation to price (850 quid for a compensated Baritone!), but I have not seen any of the student range instruments. (Listed at 300 quid for a intermediate horn, and £350 for the Baritone).
    I am under the impression they are the same shape & wrap as the Besson instruments (less all the compensator pipework of course), so would make the Baritone a bit more manageable for a smaller kid.

Another brand to look at is Weril. The "Regium" cornets are fine if you get them for the Right price (student priced but with 2 triggers!), but I don't know so much about other instruments in the range. The Baritone is Euph shape though, for about £450
  6. i've never played a jupiter instrument, but i knew someone who has. they are ok instruments for junior band, but my friend found the main problem was the souldering(? spelling?) went on things such as brace bars etc. apart from that it was fine, however this is talking 5-6 years ago
  7. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I don't know about brass instruments, but I know a lot of people who use Jupiter flutes, and many prefer them over Yamaha!
  8. super_sop

Thanks for al the replys guys and gals, managed to pick up and blow a few instruments today at Leicseter.
    plumped for a Vertuosi horn in the end, and got it a very good price to so the band will be happy!!!
    still lookin for a baritone, but will probably go with the virtuosi again, very impressed with the quality of the instruments, and with the money i have saved on other brands should be able to pick up a cornet aswell!!!

will do some sort on review whne they have been blown a bit.
  9. on_castors

on_castors Member

Are they the Student/Intermediate range?
  10. super_sop

we went for the intermediate range
  11. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Yes Jupitor can acctually be ok instruments... But I must say... Everytime my students ask me about buying their own instruments I always say "When you buy your own instruments - you buy it for the rest of your life..." so go for the Yamaha Xeno or Besson...