Junior/Training Brass Band Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Hi All,

I have recently just taken over a local training/junior band and I am looking at updating the current music library with some new arrangements and pieces, modern fun pieces perfect for kids.

The standard is very beginner, think A Team and the usual Primary School/Early High School Band levels.

I'm also tryin to find some pieces with features for different sections; i.e Born Free/Hey Jude for the horns. Can anyone recommend any pieces for a cornet feature (3 players), and also a percussion feature.

We are also struggling on bass players, which is a personally very annoying as a tuba player myself. Has anyone had experience using a bass guitar instead/as well as tuba players to plug the gap?

Any help would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Check out Pennine Music and their Brass Monkeys range - excellent arrengements that have been a very welcome addition to my beginner band's library.
  3. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

Depends on the ability but I have written a piece recently for one of our youth bands that they seem to enjoy. (more works in progress). Send me an email if you are interested.
  4. its_jon

its_jon Member

I agree Pennine Music has some great works.

Lots of easier music free to download and play on FMFK including some elementry excercises and charts .. The site also gives you a taste of works available from other sites as well, a useful hub.

You should find plenty of young Bass Guitarists out there eiger to be part of a band.
    Of all Guitar types a clean sounding electric bass should fit in without any problem at all. The smallest of amps will be enough to make a huge difference. but, a bigger amp turned low is better :tup