Junior sections for the Spring Festival?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Looking back through the history books, I see that the Spring Festival was formerly divided into not 3 but 6 sections - from highest to lowest, Grand Shield, Senior Cup, Senior Trophy, Junior Shield, Junior Cup and Junior Trophy.

Has recent consideration been given to the resurrecting of one of more of these Junior sections? Naively, it seems to me that there would be plenty of demand for at least one more section. What are the issues against this suggestion? Would it require another date due to overcrowding in Blackpool? Am I wrong in thinking that the organisers could easily fill a fourth section?
  2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It seems to me that part of the problem with the existing format of the contest is the size of the sections. 20 bands in the grand shield is a mammoth task for an adjudicator - particularly with the established practice of picking the open piece from 2 years ago as the set work and the length of piece that finds it's way into the open. Titan this year was a marathon.

The contest is ever-popular (all three fully-subscribed this year I think and only one or two missing at the bottom-end of the contest in recent years) and I know of a couple of bands around the 1st section-championship section border who have been appliying for years and failing to get in.

Perhaps resurrecting one more of these contests at the bottom of the pile would be a good idea, combined with a reduction in size of the others. For example, a drop from 20 to 18 in each section (imbalances of numbers could be done by relegating one more band than was promoted from every section) would lead to six names for our new lower section, and the potential for twelve new invitations.

As you say though, Venue capacity might be an issue. Could the Winter gardens accommodate another contest? And if not, is there anywhere that could? I think a large part of the popularity of the contest is that it's on a Saturday (so revelry can continue unabated after results) and that there's plenty of cheap accommodation for bands on a social weekend away so any change to the location or timing might be counter-productive.
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You could add a Sunday contest for the lowest sections, keeping the higher sections on the Saturday - would be a good incentive to get promoted!
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Or move it on two weeks so it falls on the spring bank holiday weekend? Then it doesn't matter because even those who play on the sunday have a day to travel home, and bands from further afield aren't put off by potential time constraints should they be playing on the Sunday.

Just a thought. The banding calendar's so tight these days that that's probably not an option as ist's bound to clash with something or other.

Either way, who do we suggest it to?