Junior Band Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Liz Loftus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Following on from the thread "training band challenge" We are looking at entering our first proper band contest with our Junior Band but are struggling to come up with a suitable test piece as it is an own choice contest. We have a mixture of youngsters ranging from primary School to 19 and as wide a range in ability. We want to pick something that isn't a "durge", that will challenge them but not over stretch them.

Any ideas would be really welcomed

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    band contest
    Junior Band
    mixture
    youngsters
  3. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

So Liz, are you looking for a test piece as such or an extended concert item? I can think of a few examples of both if you could provide a little more choice. We can also have a look through Lympstone's library and archive section to further your choice. I know my sister recently played some movements from Anglian Dances with her school band - Alan Fernie I believe,

4. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

Stantonbury Festival by Ray Steadman-Allen is a good one.
    Best of luck with your junior band!

5. tom_leather

tom_leather New Member

As tam-tam said, it depends on your requirements, but my top recommendation is probably 'symphonie concertante' by Gerard Boedijn.
    3 movements, a chance for a couple of players to show off a bit, quite good fun, not too long... basically, it's a good mix of everything you need in a junior band I'd say :)

6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hello Liz i remember the first test piece we played with our youth band it was the Rural Suite (Eric Ball) and the one our training band is paying for there first contest in April is Pennine Moor (Darroll Barry) the first piece is in 3 movements and a nice piece to play, the second is a bit more taxing,in 4 movements with a cracking 3rd movement,let me know if you want any more info Ta Dave

7. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Little Suite for Brass N0.1

8. bbg

bbg Member

"Free World Fantasy " (Jacob de Haan) - perhaps more in the "extended concert" class more tha a true test piece but a decent test for a young band reference ensemble playing, tuning etc

9. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

How about Pennie Moore?! Our junior band are playin it at the moment! Nt really that had of piece just things like counting! Can't remeber who wrote though think it was Kenneth Downie

Matt

10. gaz

gaz New Member

Partita we used to play this at Grimethorpe junior band & won many prizes not sure who arranged it as it was many years ago

11. Frontman

Frontman Member

A very good piece for a youth band is 'London River'. It is difficult enough for a Youth Band to take on as a first contest piece and the contents will keep the young players interested.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    band contest
    Junior Band
    mixture
    youngsters
  13. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

I've been trying to think of the name of that piece for ages Frontman!!! So thanks!
    I remember playing it with a youth band and a lot of the players had not been playing long. They handled it quite well, and I agree it will keep them interested.

14. rebecca

rebecca Member

Take a look on the Just Music website they've got some great youth/junior band stuff. Lythbank suite is a good test piece with a good variety in it.

15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I seem to remember 'Thanet Seascapes' and 'A Sadleworth Suite' being good contest pieces from my junior band days. Can't recall the composer's name for either piece though I'm afraid.

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Divertimento by Eric Ball;
    A good piece for Junior Bands to tackle i played it was my first junior band contest came 3rd on it as well.1975
    Indian Summer Eric Ball came 2nd 1976
    Little Suite For Brass No 1 1st 1977
    Suite Gothique 1st 1978
    but we had a cracking junior band with some brilliant members in the band at the time.
    These we played at the West Midland Assc ensemble contest held at Walsall.
    But played many pieces
    Three Songs Without Words 1st
    London River 1st
    and i will add we were never beaten from Sept 1976 until the band finished in 1978 at any junior band contest.
    Some really great times and what a great bunch of guys&gals we were all stuck as a team the attmosphere was great and when we went on stage to play we went on to WIN 2nd was never good enough for us the junior band was;
    Walsall Metropolitan Junior Band