Judges of the Secret Court for next year's Grand Shield

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bayerd, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Anyone else heard the rumour?

Fingers crossed it's not.....
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Where did you hear that?
    Surely its more likely to be Visions of Gerontius?
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Given the pattern that seems to have emerged, I would have gone with Visions of Gerontius
  4. jim

jim Member

I would prefer Judges to Visions of Gerontius as I really did not enjoy it when it was the open that was to play. But I think the Sheild will be something a lot harder than judges, now Revelation that would be ideal!!
  5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Revelation would be fab but it wasn't the Open test piece 2 years ago, Gerontius was........ ;)
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

you never know these days what test pieces could be
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's probably been a national finals piece too recently to end up in the grand shield.

Wasn't entirely well recieved as a choice either if I recall. Not one of Frank Wright's better arrangements. Includes some deeply unsympathetic scoring - particularly on the flugel and horns.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this the only arrangement of the Judges? :confused:
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

You need to sharpen your quill ;)

There'll probably be a Lorriman arrangement before you can finish it though....
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

He's created a few interesting ditties :rolleyes: (... I'm not his biggest fan although he has done something totally different with Carnaval Romain which I recommend banders to listen to).
  11. Thirteen Ball

It's the only one I'm aware of - which means absolutely nothing as I'm not aware of a good deal of music!

I would suggest this is the arrangement the selectors would pick though. Then that would give the adjudicators the chance to tell us all how they played it with crossley's carpets in 1978.... ;)

Brassneck, if you fancy it - give it a go! It's a good piece but it really needs re-arranging as some of the scoring in the original is a shocker.

After all, it worked when Bram Gay did it to "Les Preludes."
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I may consider it if & when I feel like it, but I would have to do a little background work before I would commit (and that may include Liszt's arrangement for two pianos as well!).

Les Preludes & Bram Gay's transcription - that's what it actually is ... a direct transcription! It depends what you are looking for and sorry, I feel his effort looks and sounds more like an academic exercise than accomodating the target source. (We are all entitled to an opinion!).
  13. Thirteen Ball

As the first section area piece discussion is proving, it doesn't do for us all to be the same. :)
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's not that I don't respect what Bram Gay did, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it! (... same goes for anything else). Berlioz is a special case as he has written much about how he went about orchestration (see here). Added to the fact he didn't like his finished opera of The Judges, but still liked the overture, I would like to know more. Here is a situation when a Sibelius Scorch Score can assist any ideas of arranging it, as it cuts out natural expression and presents it in a bare bones style (watch & listen here).
  15. I think people have been looking at 4 barsrest and seen the winter garden logo where they have annouced the judges for the north west area next year and this has therefore lead to someone thinking that judges is the test piece for the sheild.Have a look.....
  16. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

If the above is right, then it's hilarious!!

However, the original poster is right..... then it's horrendous!!!
  17. When are the test pieces usually announced??!!
  18. Thirteen Ball

I couldn't agree more. That's a point I have tried to make many times in many threads, but never put it quite as well as that. :clap: