Judged by your peers?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jack Stout, May 14, 2008.

1. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

I'm sure every bandsman has at some time complained about a result, it's part of the fun. What seems a little hard to take is when those pronouncing judgement have never themselves conducted/or played in a band of at that level.

I'm sure there will be lots of names that come to mind, but why is a man, only known for conducting school bands, judging some fine championship bands in the 2nd tier of the Spring Festival?

People will always argue with results but it's a easier to take when you can say, 'well, at least he's been there and done it'.

I'd far rather have a 'Bob Childs' tell me where I've gone wrong then a 'Bob the Builder'.

Come on organisers, surely there are more experienced (at competing at that level) adjudicators out there.

2. zak

zak Member

:clap: :clap: :clap:

3. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

ZZZZZzzzzz.....

4. groovy

groovy Active Member

Bob the Builder?

I don't think that because someone might not be a "big name" conductor they are any less qualified to be an adjudicator. Is someone less musical because they are conducting a school band, compared to Cory or YBS or whatever? No.

I don't think its showing much respect to be judging how "experienced" an adjudicator is. If someone was not experinced enough to be adjudicating at this level, the organisers would not have selected them.

5. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

Big Name?

Having big names is not the issue. I was just saying that I can't see how someone who is not in demand to conduct at that level is qualified to pass judgment on those that are. I'd rather see any conductor who regularly works at that level then someone who works with school bands. There is no shortage of people that fit the bill. Let us be judged by those that have had to done it.

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

to be honest all judges at the spring festival are experienced musicians with a years of judging ,perfoming and conducting experience , just check the program Jack and you will see , I think the judge your refering too has conducted at the British Open and has trained one of the best youth bands to come out of the North West. Just because he isn't winning pots at the Nationals or the Open every year does not make him less a valid judge , look at the composers Michael Ball , Peter Meechan they have been put on judging panels and rightly so. listen to what these guys have to say , you might learn something.
    it's a thankless job but someone has to do it , people moan about "Old School judges" and the new guys on the block....
    If you have a problem with the current status of judging get on to the ABBA or get on the salford adjudicating course.

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I'm pretty sure the guy in question has conducted Brighouse, Grimey amongst other top bands as well as being the resident with Wingates.
    And as a french horn player appeared with the Halle and Liverpool Phil.
    Quick to judge arn't we?

I would have thought people might have like to see some young(er!!) blood in the box, perhaps not, or maybe you just had a bad result?

8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

There's plenty of school teachers who are good, professional musicians. Eric Landon springs to mind for a start.

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Anyway "Jack Stout", who are you? I think when you are prepared to put your name and reputation on the line then you can perhaps slag others off who put themselves and their integrity in the public eye to adjudicate at band contests. Just a thought!

10. agentorange

agentorange Member

That'll be the same judge who could only write 'a brave attempt' at my euph solo when the rest of Blackpool thought i'd win the Solo prize then! Oh well!!

(Oh, and congratulations to the Euph player of Jaguar Coventry who did win it. You must've been awesome!!!).

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bob the Builder
    Spring Festival
    Bob Childs
    level
    time
  12. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I had you on 99.5 and Jag's euph on 99, so yeah, he was pretty awesome

13. pixie

pixie New Member

Isn't modesty a fine thing...

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Wow the entire rest of blackpool - I didn't realise they were all into brass bands, craming into winter gardens to help judge the solo Euph prize!!

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Assuming that you mean Mr Wormald, I think this^ along with his numerous appearances as a professional horn player and his conducting experience with a number of top bands more than qualifies him to adjudicate a brass band contest at any level. Conducting at the top level does not, on it's own, constitute an adequate training for adjudicating any more than playing at a high level constitutes adequate training for conducting. Nonetheless, after every contest where the organisers have been foolish enough to employ a relatively "inexperienced" adjudicator we get similar complaints; I've even known people question whether Philip Sparke should be a judge on his own music because of his lack of top flight conducting experience. And to answer your original question - no, there simply aren't many more "experienced" adjudicators out there. Why would anyone want to do it?

While I've huge respect for Messrs Whitham and Broadbent, their top flight "golden years" were quite some time ago, yet you're (apparently) happy for them to carry on judging. Banding has moved on - if they're not consistently preparing bands for top flight competition, how can they know what to listen for any more than Mr Wormald? Similarly, Peter Roberts has never conducted at this level as far as I know, despite being one of the greatest cornet players ever to grace a stage - how can he know what to listen for? Answer - because they're musicians of the highest order, and there is more to that than having a mantlepiece full of freshly won pots.

16. agentorange

agentorange Member

Oops! Someone appears to have the wrong impression of me.:oops:

I wasn't meaning to sound bigheaded. It's just that i was very disappointed with the adjudicators remarks given that so many people (including total strangers) congratulated me on my performance and commented that I should have won it. At no time have I said I should have won it.

17. agentorange

agentorange Member

Figure of speech Garry, no need for sarcasm.:frown:

18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

No! but it made me chuckle to myself!

19. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

David would tell you that he is pretty awesome!!!
    He was very pleased to win the prize and was satisfied with his own performance on the day... (He has many good qualities but Modesty is not one of them but I think most Euph players need to be confident characters??):wink:

20. agentorange

agentorange Member

fair enough!!:tup :D

21. killer

killer Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bob the Builder
    Spring Festival
    Bob Childs
    level
    time