JPEG Photo's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stotty74, Jan 1, 2008.

1. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Hi all
    I know if anyone knows how to do this, then someone on here will.
    I am having trouble using some photo's for our band's website, basically i think the files are too large. Band members are now starting to send me photo's for inclusion, but they are all at least 2mb each.
    When i view the website after uploading new photo's, it seems to take ages to show them. I don't know if this is my broadband connection or what, but i'm sure if people have slow connections then this will be a problem anyway.
    So the question is, if it's possible, can anyone tell me how to make the files smaller?
    Please check out the website aswell at www.northopsilverband.com and leave us a message.
    Cheers
    Karl

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    website aswell
    new photo
    connections
    JPEG Photo
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Basically, you need to reduce the size of the images in pixels, and compress them - they will then be much smaller in file size. If you are on a PC, try an excellent free application called IrfanView - which can be downloaded from the link I provided. This will allow you to resize any image, in terms of pixels and compression - and you'll end up with files of manageable size for your www site.

You should be able to reduce a file of 2MB down to around 40-50k with minimal loss of image.

PS: a Tip - don't forget to reduce the pixel density (dpi) down to 72 - which is all that's required for displaying images on the web. You can leave them as they are if you want, but if they are direct from camera they may be at 240 dpi which will possibly yield a larger file size.

4. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Thanks for that. I've downloaded it and am playing around with it now. Looked complicated at first but think i'm getting there;-)

Cheers.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

No probs, shout if you want some help though I don't use it any more as I am on a Mac. I use Photoshop for all my image stuff.

6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member