Joyful Hymns in the Red Book

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SuperMosh, Nov 24, 2009.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi all

Like most bandspeople my knowledge of hymns out of the red book extends to the National Anthem, warm ups for practice etc. Our youth band is putting on a concert next year in a church and I need 3/4 hymns out of the red book that the congregation will have in their hymn books and are joyous.

Any ideas?

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Ellacombe? "Why was he born so beautiful" I think?
  3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Before anybody else from Gresley says it, I only know the Band Coach tune to this one

Why was he born so beautiful
    Why was he born at all
    He is no ******* use to anyone
    He is no ******* use at all

I'll get my coat.

Thanks for that one - anybody know if 'All things bright and beautiful' is in the red book?
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I don't think it is....

Diadem is a bright and joyous hymn tune. I'm sure someone on here will know the words which go with it. (The ones marsden sing after every contest.)
  5. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

How about Laudate Dominum (O praise ye the Lord) or Hydrofoil, sorry - Hyfrydol (Alleluia, sing to Jesus). Good rousing stuff!
  6. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I'd second Laudate Dominum - very nice!
  7. Thirteen Ball

St francis is really nice and happy too - but a little awkward to play, being in 6:4 if I remember correctly.

And it's worth trying "praise my soul" which is one of my favourites - plus has a change on the last verse to keep it interesting.
  8. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Blaenwern (No 7) - Love Divine is a good one.
  9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

All hail the power of Jesu's name
    Let angels prostrate fall (let angels prostrate fall)
    Bring forth the royal Diadem and
    Crown him, crown him, crown him,
    crown him, crown him, crown him and
    Crown him lord of all!

Anything with more words in would never be remembered after a gallon.....
  10. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions :)
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

My Favorite and so beautiful as well;
  12. Thirteen Ball

Eh? :confused:

Yes it is a gorgeous hymn - but hardly joyful ol' boy. I mean it's a funeral hymn to start with!!!

Think of the second line, "The darkness falls at thy behest" which is hardly the most uplifting line in a hymn is it?

The clue to the thread's in the title.....
  13. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

:tup I take it that Abide With Me is under the same banner then :biggrin:
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although sometimes used at funerals, it was certainly never intended as a funeral hymn. If you follow through the full sequence of verses you will find that it is a positive affirmation of the world-wide aspect of the Christian faith. The references to day and night are purely literal, showing that as evening falls in one part of the world, so those elsewhere are awakening to a new day of worship and praise.

Maybe not joyful in the sense of "happy, clappy", but certainly not mournful either.
  15. Thirteen Ball

Every day's a schoolday. I stand corrected Mr Bale. Thanks for the insight! :clap:

Re: supermosh, in the light of what Peter's said, I suppose now I think about it the same could be said of "abide with me" really. (Although that surely is a real funeral hymn?)

Even in the context of funerals, I know I can never hear "Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies" without feeling my spirits rise....
  16. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I like St.Ann (79) which is often played on rememberence sunday and Crimond (13 I think? Hym,n book not at hand!) which is "The lord is my shepherd"

Also 111 is nice - I think its Whittingham - I dont know the actual hymn but it has a nice melody.
  17. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Having spent most of my summers attending funerals (summer job with an undertaker) Abide With Me, Lord is My Shepherd and even All Things Bright and Beautiful are well used funeral hymns.

I suppose another slant to this thread could be that we are looking at doing a Spring themed concert so are there any hymns which celebrate the springtime? My knowledge extends to 'Autumn Days', 'Easter Jubilation', Come and Praise (1 and 2) and that one where Mr Ullyiat couldn't play the piano in assembly.
  18. Thirteen Ball

Obvious as it may be, 'Easter hymn' in the red hymn book is "Christ the lord is risen today" which we always used to sing on easter sunday. Think there are a couple of three-verse arrangements of that too.
  19. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Morning Light No 59 - Stand Up Stand Up for Jesus

No: 44 also good can't remember the name off hand