Johnny Dankworth, RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeterBale, Feb 7, 2010.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Johnny Dankworth has died - the "Sir John" title just doesn't seem right somehow! I never met him myself, although his sister Avril did once adjudicate me in a local music festival (a fine bassoonist). Great encourager of young musicians, regardless of background and interest.

Interesting faux pas on BBC radio though: mentioning his various achievements they referred to an award for the original theme tune for "The Avengers", and then proceeded to play the better known later theme by Laurie Johnson :eek:

2. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Interesting faux pas on BBC radio though: mentioning his various achievements they referred to an award for the original theme tune for "The Avengers", and then proceeded to play the better known later theme by Laurie Johnson :eek:[/quote]

Yes it’s sad to hear this. I remember listening to the original theme tune of The Avengers. Did that series have Honor Blackman at the time? I liked the Diana Rigg episodes better.

3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

He also wrote this:

[youtube]ERaF-h8UhvU[/youtube]

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I Loved both Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine. I think hers might have been the first voice I really enjoyed listening to and he was one of the first jazz musicians I cam across.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice