Johnny Dankworth, RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeterBale, Feb 7, 2010.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Johnny Dankworth has died - the "Sir John" title just doesn't seem right somehow! I never met him myself, although his sister Avril did once adjudicate me in a local music festival (a fine bassoonist). Great encourager of young musicians, regardless of background and interest.

Interesting faux pas on BBC radio though: mentioning his various achievements they referred to an award for the original theme tune for "The Avengers", and then proceeded to play the better known later theme by Laurie Johnson :eek:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    RIP Sorry
    Avril
    Johnny Dankworth
    Sir John
    BBC radio
  3. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Interesting faux pas on BBC radio though: mentioning his various achievements they referred to an award for the original theme tune for "The Avengers", and then proceeded to play the better known later theme by Laurie Johnson :eek:[/quote]

Yes it’s sad to hear this. I remember listening to the original theme tune of The Avengers. Did that series have Honor Blackman at the time? I liked the Diana Rigg episodes better.

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

He also wrote this:

[youtube]ERaF-h8UhvU[/youtube]

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I Loved both Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine. I think hers might have been the first voice I really enjoyed listening to and he was one of the first jazz musicians I cam across.