John Winterflood resigns from Swindon Pegasus

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by ophicliede, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

After many years as Musical Director of Swindon Pegasus Brass I have resigned from the band. My aspirations of banding differs from that of some of the members. Lack of commitment and band management difficulties have created problems. I will also be relinquishing the position of Musical Director of the Swindon School of Brass Youth Band after their 10th Anniversary Summer Course next week. Having founded this organisation more than 10 years ago with eight youngsters, there are now three youth bands through which hundreds of youngsters have been introduced to brass banding.
    I will now look for new challenges in the banding movement.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  2. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Im sorry to hear that John, its a loss to the band. Good luck for the future though
  3. Jasper

Jasper Member

All the best for what you do next John....and whichever lucky band you get to impart your vast experience on.

4. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Sadly Mike it's the youngsters in the youth bands that will need some luck because some of the senior band members don't seem to be interested or worried about what happens to them. Even though six of them now play in Pegasus. I only hope they have some luck and good role models to sit alongside and nurture them as players.
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be posted here?
  6. MartinT

MartinT Member

John, you know the respect I have always had for your work with young people. The banding movement in the South and Midlands needs your talent and energy, and I very much hope that these things will find an outlet sooner rather than later.
    Very best wishes in your search. Perhaps we can chew the fat sometime.

7. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Best of Luck for the future

It will be a great loss for the young people of Swindon that you are moving to pastures new.

I really enjoyed watching the youth band playing at the entertainment contest at Hungerford. It was fabulous to see so many young people enjoying playing brass and at a very good standard. I only hope that someone with your level of commitment is appointed quickly as it would be a shame to let all your hard work disappear.

All the best for the future.
  8. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Thanks Dave and Martin, I will still be involved with the young people of Swindon through my job as Deputy Director of Music Service and Curriculum Adviser, but obviously my true love has always been brass bands.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  9. BrassyEuph

BrassyEuph New Member

Hi John,
    How are you? I'm still blowing. Enjoyed your cpmpany at KH 1974. Playing with Ipswich and norwich coop band now. Best wishes in all you do. my email address is good luck. Your mate
    Dave Mildren
  10. Growler

Growler Member

John, I just want to say thanks on behalf of all the band for the amazing amount of work youve put in over the years, for giving young people in Swindon the chance to play in bands of all abilities. Thanks for giving me the oppurtunities you have done, we've had some great times over the years, and I hope that this won't be the end of your involvement in banding in Swindon, we need people like you to drive us forward.
  11. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Thanks Robert for your comments we've certainly had some challenges over the years. When you think how as youngster you struggled on trumpet and now you play the BBb Bass to a good standard and more than hold your own in a 1st section band. Just keep moving forward and improving you will be an asset to the band movement and a big thanks for your help, you always 'muck in' when there are things to be done. Good Luck!
  12. Jay

Jay Member

Hi John, like Rob said, thank you for everything you've done for us!! I was gutted when you announced you were leaving, and I wana say thank you for all the work you've done and all the inspiration you've given us. I'll always remember the fun we had, especially at Stonar! Thank you for everything.