John Peel - RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

John Peel

I've just heard the sad news that John Peel has passed away. Very sad news indeed, a very entertaining presenter on both radio 1 and radio 4.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    John Peel
    presenter
    radio 1
    news
    radio 4
  3. jpbray

jpbray Member

Death aways puts things into perspective, if anyone gets the chance read Ecclesiastes in the Old Testement.

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oh no this is awful news. John Peel was one of my Radio heroes - always looking for something out of the ordinary (and usually quite excellent), and never scared to take risks. His contribution to popular music is massive - he gave some of the best known bands around their first big break with his Radio 1 show, and he was always entertaining on Radio 4.

The BBC news report is here.

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Terrible, the man that introduced me to the Beatbox Saboteurs is dead... but his memory lives on in random cd collections everywhere!

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

very sad news

:-(

7. ju33les

ju33les Member

:-(
    I used to write letters to John Peel when i was a spotty teenager. He used to write back and also phoned me on a couple of occasions.
    Sad news.

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Have merged the two threads together. John Peel is one of those characters who seems to have been aroud forever, and who carried the torch for the more "serious" and adventurous music seemingly on his own for a long time. I know some found his voice very wearing, but he'll definitely be missed.

Can anyone confirm my memory of him hosting "The Old Grey Whistle Test", or was that someone else?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

That's so sad. He was a great presenter, came across as a really nice guy and I just enjoyed listening to his extremely distinctive voice.

He will be sadly missed.

10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

John was a great bloke who loved music and who loved people. I've listened to him for as long as I can remember and even though we never met, I think of him as a friend.

Thanks John.

11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

"Whispering" Bob Harris was the long time and regular presenter of TOGWT, but I think he did a few guest appearances.

I couldn't believe it when I heard today, I tried to listen to his show last night on the way home from band but it was not on. He introduced me to so many new bands and I still listen to him up to this day to see who he gave his mark ofr approval to.

You only have to look at his Peel sessions series to see how much he has influenced music in this country.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    John Peel
    presenter
    radio 1
    news
    radio 4
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

So often when famous people die I just feel, "Oh, yes, very sad. Next." but you know, I actually do feel sad about this. I remember listening to his sessions on Radio 1 (right after Annie Nightingale) way back in the 80s. I'll definitely miss Home Truths, and he was a superb Grumpy Old Man, too!
    Bye John
    BMB
    xx

14. annmck

annmck Member

I'm afraid I am of an age to remember him on "The Old Grey Whistle Test. This program along with "Monty Pythons Flying Circus" was a weekly ritual in the 70's. He will be sorely missed by many people. R.I.P.

15. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I was idly browsing the web yesterday morning when I saw the news on the BBC - a terrible shock , even more so as he was drinking in my local here in the west end a couple of nights before he went abroad, as he often did when he staid up in London - he was always approachable and enthusiastic about his work , particularly still discovering new music .You will be sadly missed John - R.I.P. from all of us in The King and Queen

16. I was at a gig last night and the bands kept mentioning the news but wasn't sure to beleive them as they are renound for being jokers but this confirms it.

Very sad news, the man was a ledgend, a true musical eclectic.

Great man, great shows, he will be sorely missed.

17. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

He was the reason I often went to school very tired................I used to listen to his late night show under the bed covers!!